• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Good Wall film

Gman75

im Sure this has already been asked or discussed. But here it is again. Looking for a good wall film for interior murals. Something that is easy to remove after longer then 1-2 years down the road.
I see some website companies that just sell wall murals. And say they have this amAzing peel and stick Material that will remove without damaging the walls or paint. I would Love to know what magic product this is that adheres to every smooth wall surface and still claim won’t damage the walls or paint. . Anyone?? thank you in advance

Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

Avery 2611 works well as a removable film, and if you want fabric try phototex, walltux, or fabritac... They all work great.

Last edited:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Our main go to is General Formulations 226 Wallmark. It does not do well with severely textured walls though....well really nothing does, lol...
We have used 3M IJ39 for tricky walls that many vinyls won't stick to well. It's a high tack vinyl.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
All of these suggestions are great. I'm not trying to be a smart ass by saying this, but honestly the best wall graphic media is going to be the one that #1- performs well with your printer/ink setup. Depending on the printer you use, the inkset, your shop's enviromental conditions, etc., there may be some that perform better than others. #2 - adheres well in your particular enviroment to your customers walls: Since you are in Canada, temperature variations may be a factor, the amount of humidity could affect adhesion. #3: Are you going to install with an overlap seam, or a butt-joint. Some films don't do well with butt-joints, and work better if they are overlapped. I had a customer that loved a particular media, but the customer insisted on butt-joints and the edges wouldn't stick well at the seam and would lift. And #4- the paint used on the surface that its being applied to could be the greatest factor of all. There are multitudes of threads on S101 about wall media not sticking. Many times this has to do with low-voc or easy clean type paints and the additives that are used to give them those characteristics. So in light of all of these factors, you're going to need to do some testing and determine what works best in your specific area. Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Gman75

All of these suggestions are great. I'm not trying to be a smart *** by saying this, but honestly the best wall graphic media is going to be the one that #1- performs well with your printer/ink setup. Depending on the printer you use, the inkset, your shop's enviromental conditions, etc., there may be some that perform better than others. #2 - adheres well in your particular enviroment to your customers walls: Since you are in Canada, temperature variations may be a factor, the amount of humidity could affect adhesion. #3: Are you going to install with an overlap seam, or a butt-joint. Some films don't do well with butt-joints, and work better if they are overlapped. I had a customer that loved a particular media, but the customer insisted on butt-joints and the edges wouldn't stick well at the seam and would lift. And #4- the paint used on the surface that its being applied to could be the greatest factor of all. There are multitudes of threads on S101 about wall media not sticking. Many times this has to do with low-voc or easy clean type paints and the additives that are used to give them those characteristics. So in light of all of these factors, you're going to need to do some testing and determine what works best in your specific area. Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

Thank you to everyone for your film recommendations. So how is it that these
Companies on the web that just sell one product Of wall film and aren’t worried about all these conditions your are taking about. I totally agree with what your saying which is why was said “ magic “ wall film in my original post. I won’t list the companies on here but just google wall murals and you will see what I’m talking about. Thanks again to everyone! And merry Christmas to you too!

Christian @ 2CT Media

Thank you to everyone for your film recommendations. So how is it that these
Companies on the web that just sell one product Of wall film and aren’t worried about all these conditions your are taking about. I totally agree with what your saying which is why was said “ magic “ wall film in my original post. I won’t list the companies on here but just google wall murals and you will see what I’m talking about. Thanks again to everyone! And merry Christmas to you too!
Its because most of them have a disclaimer that it may not work for you. It is near impossible for 1 material to work for all applications and still be clean removable or have enough adhesion to not fall off, there is an acceptable risk of failure they take with the online-only approach.

cstone94

Pro-Graphx
Most "removable" films aren't very removable after ~6 months. Oracal 3621 is an awesome indoor wall film.

Reveal1

Most "removable" films aren't very removable after ~6 months. Oracal 3621 is an awesome indoor wall film.
True that most adhesives 'harden' and get more difficult to remove over time. Wall film is our #1 product line and unless it is intended for 6 months or less life span, I'll usually lean toward something with higher initial tack even if it means some paint damage removing down the road. Easier to explain to customer (upfront not after the fact) than wall film coming off soon after installation.

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
All of these suggestions are great. I'm not trying to be a smart *** by saying this, but honestly the best wall graphic media is going to be the one that #1- performs well with your printer/ink setup. Depending on the printer you use, the inkset, your shop's enviromental conditions, etc., there may be some that perform better than others. #2 - adheres well in your particular enviroment to your customers walls: Since you are in Canada, temperature variations may be a factor, the amount of humidity could affect adhesion. #3: Are you going to install with an overlap seam, or a butt-joint. Some films don't do well with butt-joints, and work better if they are overlapped. I had a customer that loved a particular media, but the customer insisted on butt-joints and the edges wouldn't stick well at the seam and would lift. And #4- the paint used on the surface that its being applied to could be the greatest factor of all. There are multitudes of threads on S101 about wall media not sticking. Many times this has to do with low-voc or easy clean type paints and the additives that are used to give them those characteristics. So in light of all of these factors, you're going to need to do some testing and determine what works best in your specific area. Have a safe and Merry Christmas!

BigfishDM - Do you want to weigh in on this. You've got a lot of behind the scenes knowledge about media. May you could shed some light on the question.

Reveal1

Our 'goto' films are GF Wallmark or Avery 2611 for short term, 3M 40C with laminate longer-term. I know - 40c not sold as a 'wall film' but works amazingly well with difficult to stick paints and I can stock one versatile film. Going to experiment with Avery 2125 EZ matte which is sold as a transit/window film but seems to have an adhesive in the middle ground between the wall films and 40c.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
BigfishDM - Do you want to weigh in on this. You've got a lot of behind the scenes knowledge about media. May you could shed some light on the question.

Every wall is a little different and if you want an all-in-one solution I recommend my adhesive wall canvas that will stick to everything and is about $1.50 sq.ft and no lam is needed. That is if you are looking for removable. If it is going to be up for a long time then I tell people to use a wall paste like Roma 880 and use the Dickson Jettex Wall Fabric. There are cheaper ways to do it, but this is the way I recommend for super high quality.

im Sure this has already been asked or discussed. But here it is again. Looking for a good wall film for interior murals. Something that is easy to remove after longer then 1-2 years down the road.
I see some website companies that just sell wall murals. And say they have this amAzing peel and stick Material that will remove without damaging the walls or paint. I would Love to know what magic product this is that adheres to every smooth wall surface and still claim won’t damage the walls or paint. . Anyone?? thank you in advance

The material the OP is asking about is PhotoTex, my material is much thicker and hides imperfections on the wall. Get ahold of some PhotoTex and you can compete against anyone.

d fleming

Fabric like phototex or comparable has worked for me on 100% of my sheetrock wall applications. I have a phototex sample the is over ten years old, been on three office walls and still can be removed and replaced with no problem.

chromira

Late to the party but try LexJets Print n Stick. They have it available in solvent and aqueous. We switched over from PhotoTex due to too many batch issues and we found it to be smoother with more vibrant color.