• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Google+ Invites?

TheSellOut

Anyone have a Google + invite they would like to share? I am really looking forward to trying it out and would greatly appreciate it!!

CES020

Does anyone else find it a little creepy? I planned on using a +1 on a site the other day and when I went to use it, I see it's all linked to me, showed me to others, etc.

Like I don't already get enough crap in my inbox, now I need to have my info published and available for anyone doing a search? No thanks.

Of course, I could have clearly misunderstood it all :smile:

I like the concept, but don't like the linking of account info to it, but I'm not sure how you could have it any other way, because people would just +1 their own sites until it helped them.

I think this is going to head the way of google wave. I just don't see everyone willingly giving up their privacy to give a site a good review.

signswi

You're confusing three different things.

1) Google's +1 rollout
2) Google Profiles
3) Google+

1) is a method of liking content similar to digg/reddit/stumbleupon and adds a social filtering layer into google's pagerank algo. You can +1 content on Google+ but they're different things. +1s are public but many Google social layers have been for a long time (google map edits for example are also tied to a google account and are visible to anyone).

2) has existed for a few years they're just requiring anyone who uses one to be public, which 99.9% of them already are. Profiles are not Google+ but there will likely be more of a melding as we move forward with the eventual complete merge.

3) is google's new social network which is sort of like a mashup of twitter and facebook combined with google picasa and google chat plus an new awesome skype like group video layer called Huddle. It's hard to explain without using it. More or less it's a sharing network where you have very granular control over who exactly sees the content from everyone on the planet down to one specific person, all from the same sharing ui using a listing and permissions metaphor they call circles (which are very easy to use). People who already use Twitter will get it quicker than people who only know Facebook (as they are used to public posting and following) however it's a completely new thing due to the granularity which allows it to be as private as you'd like (one could argue FB has similar functionality but it's super clumbsy).