• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gorgeous old photos

SebastienL

I'm speachless...

We have all seen b&w pictures of that era. I had never seen any in color. I've seen colorized ones, but never any that where taken on color film.

Just amazing!!

Thank you RebeckaR for sharing that with us.

jiarby

Looks like they had lowballers even back then.... must be where Old Paint was an apprentice!

Attachments

• SNAG-0264.jpg
    SNAG-0264.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 75

GypsyGraphics

Like Sebastien, I never seen color photos from the depression era... these are stunningly beautiful!

Seem like a good time to see how hard people worked and for so little.

Thank you so much for posting this Rebecka!

Bannerday

Wow, just beautiful. These are pictures I'll come back to often. Just so much to take in.

Thanks for sharing.

OldPaint

.10 cents a sq ft in 1930's.................do you have any idea of how expense that was...........in the dollar value of that period????
new chevy car...........$475
gas...........................$0.10 a gal
dozen eggs...............$0.18
sugar $.49 for 10 POUND.
spring chicken..........$.20 a pound
loaf of bread.............$0.09
pound of hamburger.......$0.13
mans shirt.................$2.50
mans 2 piece double breasted suit..........$20.00
rent for a house..............$15.00
hope this helps your understanding............hehehehehehehe

SignosaurusRex

.10 cents a sq ft in 1930's.................do you have any idea of how expense that was...........in the dollar value of that period????
new chevy car...........$475
gas...........................$0.10 a gal
dozen eggs...............$0.18
sugar $.49 for 10 POUND.
spring chicken..........$.20 a pound
loaf of bread.............$0.09
pound of hamburger.......$0.13
mans shirt.................$2.50
mans 2 piece double breasted suit..........$20.00
rent for a house..............$15.00
hope this helps your understanding............hehehehehehehe

WOW! OP, you really are a fossil......but you forgot the price of a cup-a-joe, a refill on the shine jug and a pair of "one year walking backwards up-hill both ways to school and back through the woods in the snow for 10 miles" shoes.

SignosaurusRex

Thanks for sharing :thumb:.....Those are the kind of photos that keep me in touch with my roots as the great-grandson of a Missouri share-cropper that made his way gradually out west ....out of the dust bowl.

OldPaint

IAM NOT AS MUCH A FOSSIL..........as you are my friend))))))))
my parents lived thru those years. my dad was 1st generation american, of russian imigrants. his father was a coal miner, who worked for the "COMPANY", who owned the house they lived in and owned the store where the family bought food, and clothes.
my dad was 9 yr old when he went to work in the same mine, with his dad and 3 older brothers........and the company took out rent money FROM EACH OF THEM for 1 house!!!!!i didnt live it, but was taught to never forget it....................

Dave Drane

They are great photos. Thank you. I also like to look at black and white, they seem to make us use our imagination of what they were like. I remember one of my friends saying that one of his kids was saying how old we because we were born in the "black and white days" ???
You may also enjoy this site. It is brilliant.

http://www.shorpy.com/node?page=4

smott

The photo of Douglas Dam being built in '42 is beautiful. This is in Sevierville, Tn. We have a home on Douglas Lake now. If you look at the background behind the crane on the left, you will see English Mtn. We can see all of the mountains from our back deck. It is so beautiful.

RebeckaR

I shared these photos with my Dad which, of course, got him telling stories of his school days and riding the plow horses to town.

I like the black and whites from these times too, but I find the color draws your eye to the details more easily. Like the can of Karo syrup on the supper table.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Those are just beautiful. I was fascinated by #6 - the news handbills in the window. We sometimes forget everyone didn't know everything as quickly as we do now and that was mass communication at its finest.

Thank you so much for posting.

GypsyGraphics

I've been back to this thread three times... time to bookmark that page!
Thanks for your link too Dave!
I love history in any form.

CropMarks

After looking at that page a couple of times... What I see in just about every photo is the "depth" or "mood" of the color just has these tones that makes them come to life. No, they're not the most vibrant or modern "IN YOUR FACE" punchy colors --- but somehow they just seem to have this feeling that I can't describe. It's like you're there.