• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got Caught..................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, we see this one so often on the forum. Just happened to me, personally. It's my mistake. My mind's been elsewhere lately, but that's still no reason for this blunder.

• Designer [me] sends proof to customer.
  • Customer Okays it.
  • Make three signs.
  • Customer comes in and exclaims...... that's the wrong date.
  • Wha.....??
  • I sent you a proof, you said Okay, you liked it and to proceed as is.
  • Yeah, but I didn't know you were gonna use the wrong month.
  • Me neither, but it was a mistake and you didn't see it.

Anyway, it's ultimately my mistake and we're gonna do them over... no charge to the customer and have them ready at noon tomorrow.

Here is a reason why to get a decent markup and have all your ducks in a row when pricing. This is easily paid for with all of the formulas we use. It's just a nuisance because we're running ragged with deadlines. We're just gonna turn them over and print the other side. Very very little out of pocket, but almost an hour of time.

Oh well, I'll just get home an hour later tomorrow and won't crack open the bottle as early to start the weekend. :omg:

sar bossier

Bummer, Gino! Sorry to hear that - although it is WAY too common. Here, have a lil drinkie, it makes it ALL better!! :wink: :bushmill:

Tim Aucoin

Fixing it the way you did with your customer goes a LONG WAY towards credibility too Gino! :thumb::toasting: He'll be back because of that!

Bly

Well played.

When we screw up we fix it free and fix it now.

When they screw up - they pay.

showcase 66

Glad you were able to resolve it Gino especially at a minimal cost to you.

Just got a call from the local FFA leader. Wanted to know if his shirts are ready to be picked up before the rodeo this weekend. Grabbed the folder and said they werent suppose to be ready until next Thursday the 10th. He said no the rodeo is on the 5th this year and he needed them by the Thursday before the 5th.

The rodeo has always been the Saturday on Mothers day weekend. The shirt proofs he signed off had the date of the 12th on them and the po turned in had the due date as the 10th not the 3rd.

Now I am scrambling around trying to find out if I can get something for tomorrow in here for them.

What irritates me more is that the shirt design had to pass through 3 groups before it was approved for print and the design had the 5/12/2012 date on them and nobody caught it.

I think I have figured out how to get them some shirts, but wont be exactly what they originally wanted.

Should have noticed it earlier in the week now that I think about it. Had something in the paper about it on Monday I think it was.

Its been a long week.

Guerilla Signs

Been there, had a new customer last month that wanted two different jobs bid. The first was to put their suppliers logos on the side of their service truck (the one I stopped in to bid). While I was there they asked if I could print two different posters for their shop and five other locations. I made proofs and sent them to them to proof for any changes they wanted.

I proof read and had my wife proof read them. They signed off on the posters and I had them printed. I outsourced the posters to a local printer and when I delivered they noticed that warranty was missing an r.

Had to reprint:banghead:

I figured that I was underbid on the truck job since they had not gave me the go ahead on the job.

After getting the posters reprinted I dropped them off at no charge and they gave me the go ahead on the truck job.

d fleming

:U Rock:"Anyway, it's ultimately my mistake and we're gonna do them over... no charge to the customer and have them ready at noon tomorrow"

And that is why Gino doesn't do two shows a day, Elvis has left the building! The only way a successful business operates is how Gino just did. Take note.

2B

almost had an oops, doing a last minute graduation banner, "We are proud of you" written on work order, proof sent for review had "we are propound of you"

Craig Sjoquist

Proofs really mean nothing, people can be reading and pass over the simplest things.

You really need to read it to them sometimes letter by letter even or your own research.

Another reason I do not like print for copy 100% changes and positioning of copy.

Nothing is easy even when ya do everything right.

Glad you got it corrected

Mosh

Doah! Depends on the customer if I fix it after they proofed it. Most of the time I fix it, on my dime. BUT, if they are a PITA, I charge a little for materials. Good reason to have an approval system, signed copy or saved e-mail saying they are good.

GOOD LESSON to have right on the proof that the CUSTOMER is responsible for all spelling and dates and such.

OlsonSigns601

My Lesson is only give free fixes based on who it is.

I had this lady come in give us a date which was written down as Sunday and turned out it was suppose to be Saturday.

I didn't keep the paper that had what she written down, but it said Sunday other wise I would have not put it on there. I would have just put the date.

So anyway, she told me she should get a discount. I told her I'll replace them but I'm not giving a discount She hung up on me.

So anyway, the b*tch comes in after the date on the banner, with a duck tape over the date with it hand written Saturday on it. That day I just didn't care and didn't feel like dealing with her.

After giving her, her money back when I know I didn't have to she proceeds to tell me that she had to have other banners made up and she'll be getting a bill from the other sign shop.

Only customer I've ever told to get the F out of my store.

Lesson Learned: Keep the work orders on file for reference of approved graphics.

cdiesel

This was *almost* a giant oops. A customer who owns a bus company talked to Jason (my brother) about installing a graphics package like they have on the rest of their buses on 10 buses they were ordering (brought in a layout). He built a quote and sent it off.. about $17k.

Bus owner came back in about six months later, and Jason wasn't in so the he talked to Jim (our sales manager). Bus owner asked for a current quote on graphics for the ten buses, (brought in a layout) which were just about to be delivered--supposed to look like the rest of his buses. Jim looked in Quickbooks and saw the estimate, talked to Jason to verify that the quote was still good, and he shot it off to the customer. Jim didn't check the estimate, as Jason knows what he's doing and it should be good to go.

Couple days go by and we get a check for 50% and PO. Luckily Jason and Jim sat down to review, and Jason didn't recognize the layout--says that's not what he quoted. Turns out the customer has two different designs on his buses. Jim requoted based off the new drawings and it was about $35k. Thankfully the client was understanding and we hadn't started anything yet!

visual800

• Customer Okays it.
  • Make three signs.
  • Wha.....??

Anyway, it's ultimately my mistake and we're gonna do them over... no charge to the customer and have them ready at noon tomorrow.

First off Im not following how this was your mistake also how did the customer pay you? check cash, cc?

Anicom

That's great service even though who is at fault is questionable. I've always felt that unless it is the overwhelming fault of the client, I fix the problem now on my dime and figure out why the issue happened in the first place. If you're client is happy and keeps coming back you can make back any money lost and gain some good word of mouth on customer service. Sometimes that's all that sets us apart.

ova

Ya know, we see this one so often on the forum. Just happened to me, personally. It's my mistake. My mind's been elsewhere lately, but that's still no reason for this blunder.

• Customer Okays it.
  • Make three signs.
  • Wha.....??

Here is a reason why to get a decent markup and have all your ducks in a row when pricing. This is easily paid for with all of the formulas we use. It's just a nuisance because we're running ragged with deadlines. We're just gonna turn them over and print the other side. Very very little out of pocket, but almost an hour of time.

Oh well, I'll just get home an hour later tomorrow and won't crack open the bottle as early to start the weekend. :omg:

I don't get this part. If you don't make any mistakes and all goes well with the order, do you reduce the price for the customer?

I don't build a mistake factor into my pricing. If we make a mistake, we bite the bullet and might lose some money on that job. Our profit from an order is figured from materials and shop rate.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it.

Dave

Stuckup

• Customer Okays it.
  • Make three signs.
  • Wha.....??

Let me get this right Gino. If you make a mistake or blunder, you admit to it. Then if a client stuffs up, you will take the blame, they will not, MMMMMM. OK. NO WAY, I say sub out your money chasing, or make it look that way,send a Debt recovery company letter, LOL, even when you confronted me before, you did not go for the kill.
BASICS ARE, client signs off, THEY LIABLE, Clients says go ahead and no signature, dont start.