• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Got my Roland 300

neckbone

I now have my Roalnd 300V. I absolutely love it. I don't even want to look at my regular cutter anymore!! LOL I think I'm going to go broke just playing around and printing on this thing.

I am researching some media to use on it though.... I have always used Oracal 651 for my cutter ( Never tried anything else )so, I think for what I will be doing, that Oracal's 3651 will work best for me. How much difference is there in the Matte vs Gloss? I don't have a laminator, but I do have a Big Squeegee that I can work with for now.

What suppliers do you guys use? I read a lot about some of the same vendors, but not about many comments on US Cutters.

Any additional heads up on material, tools, gadgets or TIPS for me will be greatly apreciated. Thanks for all comments in advance.

strypguy

MY SP300V prints great on oracal 3651 as well as oracal 3551 and I use alot of 3M IJ40.

I use generic versaworks profiles for all of these with good results.

I buy from Grimco mostly and sometimes from Fellers. there's just not alot of suppliers in my area that can compete with their prices and I get free shipping on most orders.

John

neckbone

STRYPGUY
I'm currently checking those 2 dealers to see what they have to offer.

Are the 2 medias 3651 / 3551 about the same? I looked them up and the 3551 seems to be a little more per sq ft.

rushworks
I'm about an hour east of you. I sent you a pm if you get a chance to respond. Thanks for your help.

strypguy

3551 is definitely going to last longer then the 3651. The 3651 is a great cheaper vinyl for temp signs or some indoor projects. I've used the 3551 on vehicle decals and lettering with good success. On higher end work you should consider cast vinyl but it's even more costly.

If you share what types of work you are doing we could give you a better idea on the right materials.

John

neckbone

I do a lot of window signage on store fronts and car windows. Nothing that is applied to the actual paint of a car. I also make the cheaper signs for advertising and fundraiser decals for events.

I'm in the process of getting a big order for school football helmets. I read on this forum that a material called "CONVEX" is best for that type of decal.

I'm not currently doing any type of car wraps. This is why I'm thinking the 3551RA / 3651 material should be fine for my current work. Is this material fine to use with 210 laminate? I would be using my big squeegee.

Also, I use RT60 Clear application tape on all of my cut vinyls. Will this also be okay to use on prints?

J

john1

If your using the big squeegee you may want to use 3M products. Reason i say this is because the oracal laminate is SUPER tough to work with using the big squeegee with it's thin backing.

I found that the 3M laminates worked much better with the big squeegee.

Comparable vinyl using 3M to the Oracal 3651 is 3M IJ35C with 8509 laminate. Grimco and Fellers sells these. The C on the IJ35C has air release channels which makes installation even easier.

A really cheap but yet decent vinyl you could use is General Formulations Concept 203 with the Oracal 210 laminate. I have used this combo for years and it really does hold up VERY nice. It shrinks pretty fast but i haven't seen any lifting or anything. Great for labels, yard signs and things of that nature.

Good luck!

splizaat

I use 3165 over 3651 on our sp300v -- it prints great and it's thicker and easier to handle if you aren't laminating everything.

Also we just switched everything from gloss to matte vinyl. Colors pop more, no glare and looks way more professional. Laminate with gloss if you want gloss stickers.

CS-SignSupply-TT

football helmets

I do a lot of window signage on store fronts and car windows. Nothing that is applied to the actual paint of a car. I also make the cheaper signs for advertising and fundraiser decals for events.

I'm in the process of getting a big order for school football helmets. I read on this forum that a material called "CONVEX" is best for that type of decal.

I'm not currently doing any type of car wraps. This is why I'm thinking the 3551RA / 3651 material should be fine for my current work. Is this material fine to use with 210 laminate? I would be using my big squeegee.

Also, I use RT60 Clear application tape on all of my cut vinyls. Will this also be okay to use on prints?

CONVEX vinyl and lam are the absolute BEST answer for helmets and off road vehicles

splizaat

For plastic low-energy applications like football helmets we use Arlon DPF8000...call arlon and have them send you a sample you may like it.

CS-SignSupply-TT

bottom line, yuh gotta start somewhere...welcome to the chaotic world of wide format digital printing where, if you wait awhile, it WILL change

neckbone

I'm sure I will regret not getting the 54" later, but I got such a great deal on my 30" and...... well.... I guess that's it.

Thanks for everyones responses.

strypguy

I never regretted my 30" Roland. I've had this for several years now and only had to sub out a few larger jobs to a wholesaler that does a great job for me.

It was lightly used when I bought it and I wanted into the printing biz and this was perfect for me to learn on and the price was right. Honestly, it's made a ton of money for me.

You can always upgrade to a newer and larger machine if your business grows that way.

Good luck!!

John

J

john1

I have a SP300i and i love it. I don't regret getting a 54" because this machine is perfect for where i am currently at. Anything larger which in 2 years of having it happened once, i outsource it.