• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

got stiffed on a sign face grrrrrrr

gabagoo

Regular customer, never a problem.... then after doing a new sign face with new plastic I receive about 30 days later an email that this guys associate that he worked with is no longer with the company. Hmmmm , I tell my receptionist...you start calling to get my money and dont let it sit. Now about another month later someone e-mails me and says they have closed the business down and if I want I can come and get the sign. WTF do I want with the sign, besides it is not his property once it is put on a building. In anycase I emailed him and nicely stated that simply closing down a business does not absolve you from your debts. Until I receive that manilla envelope from your lawyer with bankruptcy papers you still are on the hook for what you owe me. I then told him since they were in the phone business that I am willing to negotiate and if you have a used phone system hanging around I could possibly trade off for it. Just cant trust anbody these days!!!

juan45215

I go through the same thing. You think you can trust the people that you've done business with on a regular basis.

I'm tempted to start charging EVERYONE (except corporate) 50% deposit. I'll just put a sign on the wall stating this policy so that there is no surprise.

Pat Whatley

Cornhole is right...go get a judgement TODAY if you haven't already completed whatever you're working out. They closed for a reason, there's not going to be a lot of cash lying around to pay old bills. You want to make sure you're already in line when whatever they've got gets distributed.

cptcorn

adad
Cornhole is right...go get a judgement TODAY if you haven't already completed whatever you're working out. They closed for a reason, there's not going to be a lot of cash lying around to pay old bills. You want to make sure you're already in line when whatever they've got gets distributed.

What's also great about judgments is that company assets can be siezed and auctioned off to cover the judgment. This is a public auction and you can be the bidder.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I'm tempted to start charging EVERYONE (except corporate) 50% deposit.

been forced to do the same here....even on long standing customers....i have only a handful of customer i don't require a deposit from, but we have a cc# on file for them

binki

Don't know the laws in Toronto but here in California once you get a judgment you file for a statement of assets. If they fail to provide it they are in contempt of court and get hauled into the poky until they produce the statement. Then the court seises the assets, sells them, takes their expenses and gives you the rest up to what you are owed.

not that i have done that before....

ProWraps

good ruck.... chalk it up. welcome to business 101. this is why many companies write off loss. it sucks no doubt. but its a part of doing business. just like every other part. you must factor this into your price and overhead because i hate to tell you, the only thing you can do to 100% keep this from happening, is to close your doors.

onesource

Sounds like a good day for an arse whipp'n, show up at his front door with some speedos and an ultimate fighter shirt on and talk about hope and change.

TheSnowman

I got stiffed 5K a year and a half ago, I feel your pain. I learned a lot though. The main thing...they are never under any legal obligation to pay anyone....which is a joke. I got a note from their lawyer telling me to send in the final invoices and if I'm lucky, I may get a part of what they owed me, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.