Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Gradation Banding

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Arch_Graphics, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Arch_Graphics

Arch_Graphics New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Calgary, AB
    I am running some sample prints on our Arizona 480XT UV Printer on Lintec E-2100ZC-61 material.

We are running Colour/White/Colour and we are getting what we call gradation banding where the gradient starts to transition from solid to clear.

The file is made in illustrator and its ripped through Thrive 18.5

Anyone have any suggestions on how to smooth this out or get rid of it?

Adam

Attached Files:

2. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I don’t run an Arizona and haven’t run into this problem on a wide format personally, but whenever there’s problems with gradients on our digital presses and I’m feeling lazy I just rasterise the gradient and throw it back in. Seems to work fine.

I take it the gradient is vector based?

3. Arch_Graphics

Arch_Graphics New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Calgary, AB
    yeah it is vector based, only issue with just rasterizing it is the colour shifts and these have been matched.

4. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    If it's only two colors you can try doing a Blend in Illustrator. It's what I do if a canned gradient is giving me grief.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HaleYeah

HaleYeah Member

Apr 17, 2020
    Iowa
    Try adding a little noise to the gradient.

6. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Just making sure; are you using your own profiles? I’ve always found that my own profiles handle gradients much better than the canned profiles.

7. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    This. Convert the gradient to a bitmap and add a little noise, <10% or whatever. Since gradients are actually discrete color bands what you're doing is breaking up the transitions between these color bands.

8. Arch_Graphics

Arch_Graphics New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Calgary, AB
    Cool, I will try that.

9. Arch_Graphics

Arch_Graphics New Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Calgary, AB
    Yes they are our profiles not canned ones.

10. Grizzly

Grizzly Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Utah
    Good luck! Gray is a notorious for showing any flaw in file rip issues and printer issues. And your adding white into the mix so it's hard to isolate where the true problem is.
    I'd rasterize as others have said and try that first. Then try without white and see if it's white causing the issue. Or it could be a curing issue that causes slight color shifts between passes.