• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Gradation Banding

Arch_Graphics

I am running some sample prints on our Arizona 480XT UV Printer on Lintec E-2100ZC-61 material.

We are running Colour/White/Colour and we are getting what we call gradation banding where the gradient starts to transition from solid to clear.

The file is made in illustrator and its ripped through Thrive 18.5

Anyone have any suggestions on how to smooth this out or get rid of it?

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_4380.JPG
    IMG_4380.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_4381.JPG
    IMG_4381.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 265

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I don’t run an Arizona and haven’t run into this problem on a wide format personally, but whenever there’s problems with gradients on our digital presses and I’m feeling lazy I just rasterise the gradient and throw it back in. Seems to work fine.

I take it the gradient is vector based?

Arch_Graphics

I don’t run an Arizona and haven’t run into this problem on a wide format personally, but whenever there’s problems with gradients on our digital presses and I’m feeling lazy I just rasterise the gradient and throw it back in. Seems to work fine.

I take it the gradient is vector based?
yeah it is vector based, only issue with just rasterizing it is the colour shifts and these have been matched.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Just making sure; are you using your own profiles? I’ve always found that my own profiles handle gradients much better than the canned profiles.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Try adding a little noise to the gradient.

This. Convert the gradient to a bitmap and add a little noise, <10% or whatever. Since gradients are actually discrete color bands what you're doing is breaking up the transitions between these color bands.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Good luck! Gray is a notorious for showing any flaw in file rip issues and printer issues. And your adding white into the mix so it's hard to isolate where the true problem is.
I'd rasterize as others have said and try that first. Then try without white and see if it's white causing the issue. Or it could be a curing issue that causes slight color shifts between passes.