• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gradient Color Question

Melissam2505

I have a Roland SC 545. I am using Versa Works trying to print a gradient from Orange to Yellow. I keep getting a lot of green in it. I have searched almost every gradient thread on here that I could find and tried different solutions. I have rasterized the file, I have created it in Photoshop and also in Ill. I have tried different profiles, different settings, etc.

I am getting this on both my Oracle and 3M Vinyl using the brand profiles for each. I KNOW I need an Eye 1 and create my own custom profiles. However, I have to replace my Cyan head and want to have this done before I profile my machine. This is something I am printing for myself and wanted to know in the meantime if anyone had any suggestions to get rid of the green where the orange and yellow meet.

Even with the bad head all other graphics I am getting good color using Roland Spot colors. I had no success with the spot colors on the gradients with Versa Works. It would not recognize both. Could my bad print head be to blame or is this 100% a profile problem?

Thank you!

prime signs

Is the green shade just at the top of the yellow? I have had a similar problem with a orange to yellow fade. Maybe put up a picture so we can see the extent of off color. I found by stretching out the blend(like the yellow farther above the top of the letter) helps eleviate the greenish tint.

Malkin

Try starting with a warmer yellow, like 0 10 100 0.

I have always found that pure process yellow looks greenish...

Melissam2505

Yes only at the top of the yellow, these are bad photos I can post better ones tomorrow.

I will try to warm up the yellow, but I have used different variants, but possibly they were still too much on the green side.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 8A9V8358.jpg
    8A9V8358.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 8A9V8359 1.jpg
    8A9V8359 1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 78

Malkin

Are you working in RGB?

RGB yellow, like in the 255 255 0 range will nearly always convert and print very green.

eye4clr

Welcome to the wonderful world of color management. Looks like yours could use some help. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can do given the RIP you have. Try testing different media profiles.

Melissam2505

Eye4Clr.. I have tried several different ones within VW. When I get my XRite installed I am hoping this is a non issue. Like I said. bad head aside.. I am getting nice color outside of this gradient. What RIP would you recommend? I am always looking for suggestions. I have my Epson wide format dead-on. Luckily I only had to profile monitors and tweak some media profiles and I was done. I want this printer as good as it can be.

J Hill Designs

is there any other colors in the print besides these? if not, might want to just drop the ink limit of cyan to 0 for this print...?

Melissam2505

Jill.. No just orange to yellow. And I tried dropping the cyan to zero in VW and still had some green. I had other work this morning, but I am about to play with the Yellow and see if I can't get it worked out. I's my first Roland, bought it used ( mistake ) and am trying to get it down. When I say other graphics have been good colorwise, keep in mind thats the few I have done, not a whole lot until I get it fixed.

eye4clr

Try running the file as CMYK with the color conversion turned off in your rip. This way the profile will not remix the colors.

This may open up other problems, but it is worth trying.

Melissam2505

Thank you. I am getting there. The problem is with the Orange not the yellow. Did two diff yellow fades and the color was a perfect match with the chart.. the orange fade I did has that same green streak where it meets the white.

lookinc

how are you saving the files

don't compress the files before you print them it might be the compression that is causing it.