• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question gradient

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I got a graphic from someone who wanted a 4x4 (foot) sign for his trailer. and 3x10 (inches) decals. The image in a jpeg was too small so I asked for another version. He gave me the PDF. It had a gradient in it. I put it in flexi and then put a contour around it, then duplicated it. I flipped the duplicate and hit print. The duplicate's gradient was exactly flipped on the graphic. I even grouped it. I had to export it into a jpeg and then print it. Can someone tell me what happened? I wish I had saved the graphic to show people but I threw it away.

De.signs Nanaimo

Vector gradients can be very tricky when imported into any program other than the one that it was created in. I always merge gradients into a bitmap before printing anything large or small then I send a PDF for printing all jobs in or out of house. If you save the original version in a separate file then work on a "print" version so if things mess up you can always start over.

If a PDF is properly prepared you will get no problems in printing from any machine or program. I will never print a provided vector gradient, or bitmap that is not all merged together into one background with the one colour vector text and graphics over top of that.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Vector gradients can be very tricky when imported into any program other than the one that it was created in. I always merge gradients into a bitmap before printing anything large or small then I send a PDF for printing all jobs in or out of house. If you save the original version in a separate file then work on a "print" version so if things mess up you can always start over.

If a PDF is properly prepared you will get no problems in printing from any machine or program. I will never print a provided vector gradient, or bitmap that is not all merged together into one background with the one colour vector text and graphics over top of that.
You just spoke a boat load to me. I have had to read and re read what you said in order to absorb what you are saying and apply it to the situation. I was given the file by a client, and it printed differently each time I put it in flexi. I could not understand what it was doing or why it was doing it. The gradient appeared one time, it didn't appear the next. I spent all day working with it and getting very frustrated. In the end, I did exactly as you indicated. I exported it into a jpeg and then worked with it from there. Life is much easier now. And after my trial and error horror from Friday and then your explanation today, I can safely say I now know what happened and why it happened. I'm still fresh in this print business and it has to make sense to me. Thanks for the much needed input!!

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
More questions. So before my printer issues I was able to print this same file without issue. The gradient was supposed to go from yellow to purple. But in the photo you can see the various gradients that happened. WHY, after a year and a half am I having problems with gradient printing when I didn't before? Is it a printer issue or a software issue? i Just don't understand it.

Attachments

• 20200730_103901.jpg
    20200730_103901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 134

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It doesn't look like a printer issue to me. It seems like the software is reorienting the gradient angle when you nest them which I don't know what would cause that as I use Illustrator for the most part.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like you have user problems.

Somehow, the way you're saving things does not remain and whenever you turn or nest things, the gradient takes on a new creation.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Looks like you have user problems.

Somehow, the way you're saving things does not remain and whenever you turn or nest things, the gradient takes on a new creation.
Ok. So user problems. Here's what I'm doing. I received the graphic from the customer in PDF format. I size it and export it in a pdf. then I import it into flexi on my rip station and put a contour cut around it. Then duplicate and next where I need them nested.
I DID go back and export the file into a jpeg and it seems to work.
My real problem is that it didn't seem to do this before I had printer issues. Now it seems like I'm having the issue with each gradient. Someone earlier said if it's not my artwork I need to export it into a bitmap after it's sized.But I didn't have to do that before my printer issues started??