• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grainy bitmap printing Roland SC-500 & Flexi10

lodcomm

Hello Folks,

I am now in the process of attempting to get the print output on my sc500 acceptable. I am unable to load any known output profile into my copy of
flexi-10, attempting to load any of the roland supplied profiles (that were made for colorchoice) results in the icc profile failing to load. I have written to SAI/Flexi about updated profiles, however I get a response that there are none, and they dont know how to convert the old ones to a format readable by flexi 10. So I am stuck using the basic media setting and "no color correction" in the production manager. No matter what setting or media I attempt to print on a printed bitmap prints "grainy" - I cannot seem to get a solid color to print at all:

here is an example bitmap of I am attempting to print out as a decal for a friend.

in Flexi the bitmap looks like this:

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 4.14.50 PM.png

Rip & Print settings for the below printed image are:

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 4.27.00 PM.png
It is in this dialog where I am completely unable to get Flexi 10 to accept any .icc in the output profile dropdown & Add. So I am forced to simply use "no color correction" at the top.

No Matter what media setting or print resolution I select the printed output prints "grainy" as seen in this scan:

grainy_bird.png

Actually the Top "head" was printed at "normal" print mode in rip/print... The bottom (upside down) head was printed in "photo" mode, the bottom image was printed "darker" but the grainyness appears fully intact.

I have tried the various manual "head height" adjustmens and get the same in all cases

Can anyone point me in the proper direction for getting the print output calibrated to be even somewhat close to the input image?

thanks!

madsign25

from output setting choose use color correction( color setting tab will be on ) open it go rendering intent >bitmap under others choose absolute colorimetric then print see what result you get ,test the rest setting list from others.

Read the help you will know every setting for what.

lodcomm

from output setting choose use color correction( color setting tab will be on ) open it go rendering intent >bitmap under others choose absolute colorimetric then print see what result you get ,test the rest setting list from others.

Read the help you will know every setting for what.

Mad,

Thanks greatly for sending me in the proper direction.

If I select "Use color correction" from the dropdown, I do get the color setting's button to "ungrey". I can go in an select the rendering intent as you describe, however I have no profiles listed in the "Output Profile" dropdown, simply: none, and add...

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 6.59.57 PM.png

I am unable to "add" any icc I have downloaded or been sent.

If I attempt to leave the output profile as none, and send the job.. I get "no ICC profiles for this device.. proceed without color correction....."

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 7.03.40 PM.jpg

Sending the job digests for a bit and then I get a "Rip Error..." in the job status window.

Screen Shot 2013-12-01 at 7.07.05 PM.jpg

And nothing printed...

Any suggestions on how I should proceed from here...

thanks again

-todd

Kaiser

Try setting your dot gain to 20% in your original file and use the embedded profile. Just shooting blind here. It could help
Post curing may also help raise your dot gain a little

madsign25

Sorry I'm thinking that flexi have some profile go checked and it have none, hope somebody here sharing some profile or back to roland colorchoice (RCC) .

player

Check your vinyl manufacturer's websites for profiles. Orifol has many, perhaps there is matching type you can use as a starting point. Some have good luck with their 3651 icc for different vinyls.

deegrafix

Why not use the colorchoice rip? The profiles won't necessarily be "right" but you can do test prints on your most used materials and find ones that will work.

lodcomm

Why not use the colorchoice rip? The profiles won't necessarily be "right" but you can do test prints on your most used materials and find ones that will work.

I am trying to track down a copy of colorchoice, roland no longer offers it on their site... Anyone here have

a link where I can download a copy?

thanks!

-t

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
If I remember right, this printer originally used water based inks with a name that made them sound like solvent. Did this printer get upgraded to use solvent inks (new pumps and ink lines)? Some of the pictures look like the ink is pooling on the surface? It's hard to tell in the photos.

Not sure how many heater it has but set your pre and print heaters to 30 - 35 and post to max and make sure you have the appropriate media for your inks.

lodcomm

If I remember right, this printer originally used water based inks with a name that made them sound like solvent. Did this printer get upgraded to use solvent inks (new pumps and ink lines)? Some of the pictures look like the ink is pooling on the surface? It's hard to tell in the photos.

Not sure how many heater it has but set your pre and print heaters to 30 - 35 and post to max and make sure you have the appropriate media for your inks.

hi,

thanks for the input - the printer has been upgraded to the sc-500 and has the proper lines, wipers, etc… I will try bumping the pre & post heaters up to 95 or so and see what the result is.

-todd

lodcomm

But you still have no profile?

Correct - Flexi-10 is unable to load any of the older customized ICC's - I need to downgrade my flexi to 8.1 or obtain a copy of Colorchoice and thus be able to load and utilize the customized output profile ICC's roland has available for use
with the converted printer.
-t