• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphic design

kuntry_kid

I have quickly learned thta a make or break in this business is the ability to do graphic design and be capable of doing what the customer wants. so....

Today my wife and I signed up for a degree program in Graphic Design. We may not necessarily need a degree to be in this business, but I am sure it will help. I stared out just looking for some classes in Adobe, but now i am in a degree program. We already have most of the basic college courses, so we will have our degree in less than 18 months!!! I am pretty excited.

Anyone else here take this path. Please share your thoughts.:thumb:

Sign_Boy

I got my degree, but to tell you the truth I think I learned more on the job and on my own.
Don't get me wrong it wouldn't hurt to take the classes.
You'll learn about the programs and you'll also get the opportunity to work with others in your class.
It should be a real eye opener. Good luck!! Keep us posted on how it's going.

deejay

I ended up with a degree in 3D Animation but do Graphic Design for a living. Good Luck to ya, I know I really enjoyed going to school for something I really had a passion for.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
What kind of design degree, getting a degree with an emphasis on programs is like getting a degree in pencil, you will learn the programs in time.

Learning general principles in design is more important but it depends on what school you go to... design schools are not created equal, and generally speaking "doing what the customer wants" is not a design principle.

I had some schooling, but most was on the job training. If it's a good school it's probably going to be worth it, if you are training at a good sign shop, it's going to be worth it.

Not that it is easy to learn from book, but there are a lot of books on every subject of graphic design that will help speed up the process and you will have for future reference

coyote

Even Picasso went to art school. Whatever you can do to learn about what constitutes good design should help you. Not all of us are geniuses out of the box.

Your degree, if it's from a reputable organization, gives you credentials. Your imagination and skill get you customers. Hopefully, along with your design classes there will be some business classes. My regret when I attended art school back in the hippy days of the early 70s was that they never taught us the "business" of art. Just as important as drawing and design classes!

good luck and have fun.
Carol

Joe Diaz

generally speaking "doing what the customer wants" is not a design principle.

I agree!
The customer is always right…
…except in this business, medicine, law…. I could go on forever…
but the point I’m trying to make is that the customer seldom knows what is involved in this industry especially when it comes to graphic design. Here is where your knowledge becomes valuable. If you’re good, you can take a customer’s idea, even if it’s a bad one, mold it into an effective design, and then convince them that it was their idea. :ROFLMAO:

Also a side note: Never let the customer stand behind you when you design… especially when you are in the brainstorming process. They will always attempt to take control and the final product will always suffer because of it. You need to take charge, YOU are the professional, (or will be). These are the types of things that you can’t learn in college.

Like Sign Boy said, most of what you learn will be by working for yourself, or working for others. This is a very hands-on industry. That being said, college was an extremely valuable investment for me. I didn’t learn near as much about this industry in school as I did on the job…. maybe because it is hard for some schools to keep up-to-date with today’s technology and practices. It seems like you are always a year or two behind in software, hardware and eve techniques. Also I think once you get yourself into the workforce surrounded by professionals rather then students, the real learning begins. It might have also been different for me because my parents raised me in this industry and I felt a little bored in my design classes. But there are other very valuable tools that you can learn in colleges and universities. Dealing with deadlines in school is very similar to the dealing with them in a sign shop. You learn valuable people skills. You learn to juggle different types of jobs.

My advice would be to take your weak points and focus on them. I took business courses as electives and learned quite a bit. I also took non-western art courses that I felt helped influence my capabilities as a designer. Color theory is so freakin valuable I don’t even know where to begin to prove how important it is. Even art history has its importance. But really, when it comes to signs… I don’t really think there is a school that can teach you. It is quite a bit different then other graphic design industries. There are rules to sign design that are unique to this trade. The only place you will learn that is by spending time actually working in the industry and learning from your peers. But, a college education can also teach you things that can’t be taught on the job and give you the edge you may need.

One last thing… something to think about… I found that a degree in this industry, could come back to bite you depending if you plan on working for another sign shop and depending on the sign shop. You might find that with a degree you are over qualified to work for some shops. A good portfolio is much more valuable.

Good luck!

Sign_Boy

One last thing… something to think about… I found that a degree in this industry, could come back to bite you depending if you plan on working for another sign shop and depending on the sign shop. You might find that with a degree you are over qualified to work for some shops. A good portfolio is much more valuable.

So so true.

It's funny that you mentioned that the schools tend to be behind in their technology.
I guess I was lucky, my school was pretty much on top of it.

Also what Rick said is true, the programs will come to you in time.
I suggest taking a technical drawing class or an illustration class if you can.
It gets you away from the computer and IMO helps with creativity.
I remember I didn't like those classes very much, but looking back at them
I now realize how much they help me.

Also if you can take a life drawing class. I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but
IMO it can help to open a whole new world for you. Drawing people is a royal pain.
Get good at that and IMO you can probably tackle and job.

Joe also mentioned Art History, I know for me I wished I took it earlier on in the program.
Some if not most of the stuff you learn about and see is extremely inspiring.

Yea I know this post was more of a rant and probably made no sense at all -
heck I don't want to go back and restructure it

WILLIAMS

the customer seldom knows what is involved in this industry especially when it comes to graphic design. Here is where your knowledge becomes valuable. If you’re good, you can take a customer’s idea, even if it’s a bad one, mold it into an effective design, and then convince them that it was their idea.

Well said! I always find myself educating clients on good design.

B.S., Graphic Design, Drexel University

weaselboogie

So so true.

Also what Rick said is true, the programs will come to you in time.
I suggest taking a technical drawing class or an illustration class if you can.
It gets you away from the computer and IMO helps with creativity.
I remember I didn't like those classes very much, but looking back at them
I now realize how much they help me.

Also if you can take a life drawing class. I know I'll probably get bashed for this, but
IMO it can help to open a whole new world for you. Drawing people is a royal pain.
Get good at that and IMO you can probably tackle and job.

I smell what you're cookin'. Anatomy and life drawing classes are building blocks. I wish I would have taken more Anatomy classes as I think it would greatly help with my illustration cartooning.

I went to Pittsburgh art institute and I'll agree with everyone else who has had design classes... you learn the basics in college and it's the daily life experience where you put that to use and build upon it. I had ONE computer class when I went and everything else was hands on design, meaning that you hand drew your backgrounds, typography and greeking.... Greeking... anyone remeber greeking?. Even the designers had to draw!

kuntry_kid

Thank you all for the input.

I am not taking this thinking it will "set me up" for this industry. As many of you mentioned it gave you the basic principals. This is what I am looking for. I will be learning with several different programs and will get to understand the pros and cons of each. Overall, I think it will give me a solid foundation to build upon.

As far as being overqualified to work in someone's sign shop. I do not plan for that to happen. Not to sound arrogant or that I am too good (However, I would not mind something like an apprentice job in the beginning to learn). I just want to own and run my own business. Right now I am in IT for the Air Force and could get out making 60- 100k a year. I just do not want to work for anyone accept myself. I just have a drive and dream of being an entrepreneur. One of the reasons I am wanting to get into this industry is the fact that I can start it out of my house for relatively cheap and depending on what I do with it, it can grow in to an amazing business (or go down in flames). I enjoy challenges and doing creative unique things.

Sign_Boy

Thank you all for the input.

I am not taking this thinking it will "set me up" for this industry. As many of you mentioned it gave you the basic principals. This is what I am looking for. I will be learning with several different programs and will get to understand the pros and cons of each. Overall, I think it will give me a solid foundation to build upon.

As far as being overqualified to work in someone's sign shop. I do not plan for that to happen. Not to sound arrogant or that I am too good (However, I would not mind something like an apprentice job in the beginning to learn). I just want to own and run my own business. Right now I am in IT for the Air Force and could get out making 60- 100k a year. I just do not want to work for anyone accept myself. I just have a drive and dream of being an entrepreneur. One of the reasons I am wanting to get into this industry is the fact that I can start it out of my house for relatively cheap and depending on what I do with it, it can grow in to an amazing business (or go down in flames). I enjoy challenges and doing creative unique things.

Hey that's good to hear.
You're willing to learn and you're also willing to take the beating we all take on a daily basis:thumb:

Marlene

the best design courses that I've taken are at a communtiy college. find out if they are taught by a local person in the business as you'll get real life teaching. also, take marketing as it is as important as any design courses. if you don't know how to market a business, it's hard to come up with a design. good luck!

OldPaint

i attended PENN STATE, art major, BUT......i was 30 yrs old.(I DID THIS ON THE G.I. BILL)
after high school in which i took 5 yrs of drafting(8th, grade it was manditory)then went to 2 yrs of DRAFTING TRADE SCHOOL after high school(vietnam draft enterrupted completion)
in which i went thru the OBLIQUE, PERSPECTIVE part in 2 weeks, because of my freehand drawing ability. every other student in the class took 6-8 weeks to complete that area. teacher used to really get mad at me cause rather then draw perspective/obliques with instuments, i would just sketch it out THEN use instuments to be exact.
at PENN STATE my 1st semester, and all my time there, i was paid by the college as a the art profs assistant.
the anatomy class i had to go to the biology lab, and get the REAL HUMAN skeleton, and take it to the ANATOMY DRAWING CLASS!!!! imagine walkin thur the halls with a SKELETON !!!!!!
and even then i was able to PHOTO REALISTICLY copy text and objects....BEFORE I GOT THERE.
so no wonder i had a 3.75 GPA. for me the drawing part was easy. i even took POLITICAL SCIENCE...2 terms....
and still got good grades!!!!
also did pottery, hand build, wheel, solar fired kilns.
alot of the BOOK classes proved to be more enlighting for me.
SOOOO for me to work for some sign shop, IAM WAY OVER QUALIFIED.

Sign_Boy

i attended PENN STATE, art major, BUT......i was 30 yrs old.(I DID THIS ON THE G.I. BILL)
after high school in which i took 5 yrs of drafting(8th, grade it was manditory)then went to 2 yrs of DRAFTING TRADE SCHOOL after high school(vietnam draft enterrupted completion)
in which i went thru the OBLIQUE, PERSPECTIVE part in 2 weeks, because of my freehand drawing ability. every other student in the class took 6-8 weeks to complete that area. teacher used to really get mad at me cause rather then draw perspective/obliques with instuments, i would just sketch it out THEN use instuments to be exact.
at PENN STATE my 1st semester, and all my time there, i was paid by the college as a the art profs assistant.
the anatomy class i had to go to the biology lab, and get the REAL HUMAN skeleton, and take it to the ANATOMY DRAWING CLASS!!!! imagine walkin thur the halls with a SKELETON !!!!!!
and even then i was able to PHOTO REALISTICLY copy text and objects....BEFORE I GOT THERE.
so no wonder i had a 3.75 GPA. for me the drawing part was easy. i even took POLITICAL SCIENCE...2 terms....
and still got good grades!!!!
also did pottery, hand build, wheel, solar fired kilns.
alot of the BOOK classes proved to be more enlighting for me.
SOOOO for me to work for some sign shop, IAM WAY OVER QUALIFIED.

And way too old:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

kuntry_kid

The school I am going to attend is the International Academy of Design and Technology. According to them all of their instructors are in the business so the classes are based on real world stuff, not what a text book that was written 4 yrs ago says. Form what I understand several of the class projects are geared to advertising, since this is what a lot of GD is used for in one way, shape or form.

I like to look at everything from both sides. If for some reason a sign shop does not work out for my wife and me at least we will have our degrees to find work.

Rodi

OP,
it is so known that any good art school will totally misguide you in thier political science department and, so you've finally let us in on it))))))))))))))))))

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Picking a school should be a careful, well planned process. Even if you are going to work for yourself, you should look at the success rate of the school as far as employment placement and the schools involvement in the design community. When I worked for design firms there were certain schools that were almost always blackballed on a resume by certain design directors because the schools reputation was that bad. It's not to say the school you are choosing is bad, because it may be good for you, but whether you put 18 months or 4 years it should be the best use of your investment in time. I strongly recommend you tae a look at your local AIGA for a little guidance. I'm thinking that Austin is your closest chapter

http://aigaaustin.org/
especially here....
http://aigaaustin.org/resources/links/

There are also good design forums. You will have to find a good one where the majority are educated and maybe a few in your area to give some real world input on the school you are about to go to.

OldPaint

RODI, misguided.....is an SUBJECTIVE TERM, from where i sit, ITS YOU who is misguided...but youth has more to learn)))))

nodrenim

Hey Sign Boy, you best be carefull who you call OLD! I'll let you in on a little secret, You get older every day, your turn is coming! How do I know? I'm older than OP and I'm still going strong and learning something evey day. What do you think OP, should we get a bigger hammer?