• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics on Concrete

paul luszcz

We have a client looking for graphics to apply to a concrete corridor in a hospital.

We've done them using special 3M vinyl and laminate for short term (one year) use in museums, but never long term use in a hospital. It will get significant traffic and they are asking us to recommend a clear coat for longer life.

So, does this mean a different selection of material?

Do you still laminate and if so, with standard (vs. no slip) laminate?

Is there a particular sealer recommended to go over the graphics?

Does anyone know a resource to ask these questions of (assuming they cannot be answered here)?

paul luszcz

I checked out Asphalt Art and it is also listed as a short term promotional product.

And Alumagraph is a metal company featuring ADA signage and ALUMA Grip is used for grips on pistols and knives, etc.

Any longer term material?

paul luszcz

That looks like a good product line but again, lists an expected life of one year.

Has anyone heard of applying a sealer over the graphics?

T_K

I've used the MacTac StreetWrap material with their textured overlam, and those work well. But that was for short-term sidewalk applications in a shopping center. Never tried it for anything more than 3 months in a high traffic area.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Avery's street wrap is cool too.

I doubt you will find anything guaranteed long term for concrete, but they do last. At the last company I worked at we had Avery street wrap outside our installation bay and it go driven over all the time. you could still see and read it years latter, it just looked like an old time painted on graphic.

I have installed vinyl on concrete indoors and was provided a kit of some kind of urethane and a clear sand to throw over it. Keep in mind anything you paint over the vinyl is going to change the non slip aspect so get something proven.

Christian @ 2CT Media

We have a client looking for graphics to apply to a concrete corridor in a hospital.

We've done them using special 3M vinyl and laminate for short term (one year) use in museums, but never long term use in a hospital. It will get significant traffic and they are asking us to recommend a clear coat for longer life.

Does anyone know a resource to ask these questions of (assuming they cannot be answered here)?

Your best bet is to team up with a flooring epoxy company. You install the wrap (at this point any vinyl) and they flood coat and polish to match the surrounding floors... now you have a semi permanent graphic that can still be removed if need be. There is nothing that is rated for longer than 1 year on the market and even if it was rated for 1 year or more there are too many variables to guarantee it lasting.

Asphalt Art. 12"x12" printed samples lasted 4 months outside on asphalt. 1 year indoors on concrete. Both got heavy traffic. Both unlaminated and no spray laminate.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

Do you have any pictures of the concrete? Is it sealed concrete? If its nice and smooth you could take a good cast vinyl and put a 5 mil polycarb over the top and get pretty good longevity but only if the concrete is pretty smooth.