• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

graphics on roller doors

hey, i got a job doing a box truck with those roller doors on the back, you know the ones in metal sections.... anyways, never tried to apply graphics to these before, i know it can be done as i've seen it, but, what should i be looking out for?
does the metal rollers need to be perfectly intact? no damage/rust etc?? and the material, i will be using cast prints on the sides of the truck, same for the roller doors too? or do i need to be using something different??

thanks!!

CentralSigns

The only thing different for the roller doors is you have to cut out the material close to the edge. Say the pieces are 1.5 in wide, on both edges you have to cut out the 1/8 in that is close to the edge. Otherwise the flexing of the crack will cause the edge to lift. Fairly easy to do either machine or hand cut. You may also want to laminate to prevent scratching. I guess the material could be applied to a damaged door. I'd say no to the rust. Most of the roller doors I've applied them to are fire trucks with aluminum doors, usually new doors or like new.

Last edited:
thanks man, appreciate the info!! haven't seen the doors ...yet, but i did explain to the guy if the doors were rusty or old etc, then i may not be able to apply to them(just covering my back), but he says they are ok, but will check anyways.
i just haven't ever applied to the roller doors before so wansn't sure if i need a different type of material. i'm going to be using a good quality digital cast material as the graphic will be printed and laminated for long term use.

DGDesigns

Just realize that some of these doors are actually made of wood sections and painted with crappy paint. The hardware tends to rust quickly through the paint, so adhesion would not be something i would warrant the same as the sides of the box.
Justin Pate has a training DVD called "Realwraps 101" where he covers this application. Spend the money and check this out before you move forward. he has a real nice section on how to get the vinyl around the handle areas. Goodluck