• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics on the windshield?

SolitaryT

We have a customer who drives a big tow truck. We did some flames on the front, but he wants some graphics on his windshield across the top. We originally pitched that he get them on the outside, but he wants them on the inside behind that strip of tinting (which will impair their ability to be seen). He's convinced that the windshield wipers will shorten their life span since we live in a wet climate. My question is: is he correct, or is this something that's even legal in the first place?

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
1. he won't see them under the tint.
2. over is fine, just as long as it complies with local dot specs on obstruction of view (normally it's the top 4" can only be partially obstructed)
3. always install on the outside if there is tint. ... tint is on the inside of the vehicle ... and removal of graphics will kill the tint as well if you installed on top of it.
4. :toasting:

ThinkRight

There is a DOT line on the windsheild that marks where the maximum coverage can be applied.If he wants it inside ....
He is the customer.

10sacer

MOst wipers don't go all the way to the top. Find where the double arch ends and install above that

letterman7

Think is correct - there is a small arrow somewhere on one vertical side of the windshield. Graphics can't be placed below that line. The wipers usually fall just short of that. If he wants it on the inside... then put it on the inside and collect his money. Collect his money again when he says he can't see it and you need to do it over.

strypguy

That line is called the asi line. Your not supposed to tint below that line either. We do alot of windshield stuff and basically don't offer much of a warranty. That area gets it all....rocks, snow, ice, etc. I rarely have any comebacks and only use a good cast vinyl. As stated before, we try to stay within 4" as far as letter height in that area.

John

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
He's in alaska ... they hunt from helicopters there with high caliber rifles ... i'm pretty sure the same rules from california don't apply there.

SolitaryT

I heard that everything gives you cancer in California anyway...

...the problem is that the wipers go up to within an inch and a half of the top of the windshield. And, as an added bonus, this is a big former Penske truck, and the owner is about 5' tall and angry.

He's in alaska ... they hunt from helicopters there with high caliber rifles ... i'm pretty sure the same rules from california don't apply there.

our state law for tinting is "Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 5 inches of the windshield, no VLT% restrictions" from the SOA Department of public safety Handbook.