• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphics rookie looking for guidance for Race car graphics

I have noticed several threads on here discussing the likes and dislikes of the many different brands of vinyl plotters people use. I am looking at starting a new personal business to make some extra cash. I am looking at investing into a vinyl plotter to do race car graphics for friends and other local racers. Was hoping that someone could steer me in the right direction towards a good plotter; brand, size etc. Also, was curious if anyone knows where i can get templates for various types of race cars. I have noticed there are software packages for regular street cars, but have been un able to find them for race cars. Is this something i will have to make myself or does anyone know where I can get them, or does anyone here have the software and is willing to share or sell them.

thank you

harrisgraphix

I have noticed several threads on here discussing the likes and dislikes of the many different brands of vinyl plotters people use. I am looking at starting a new personal business to make some extra cash. I am looking at investing into a vinyl plotter to do race car graphics for friends and other local racers. Was hoping that someone could steer me in the right direction towards a good plotter; brand, size etc. Also, was curious if anyone knows where i can get templates for various types of race cars. I have noticed there are software packages for regular street cars, but have been un able to find them for race cars. Is this something i will have to make myself or does anyone know where I can get them, or does anyone here have the software and is willing to share or sell them.

thank you

I have done too many race cars to list, mainly late models..
Being most cut sheet metal and vary a good degree its hard to use any template...
80% is basic numbers and overlays and sponsors. Most the guys I have done just let me play with the rest of the car... I really try and tie in the theme of the car to what sponsors are on there...

As far as what type of plotter, all depends on your budget...
Something I found to manys delight is airbrushing over some of the vinyl to add some effects before weeding...
The downside to doing race cars is a great amount want you to sponsor the car instead of paying what they should....

GK

Race cars = templates few and far between... If you ask the majority of the ppl on here who do them they are going to tell you they take photos with a measuring tape up to the vehicle and scale it up in photoshop. There are just way too many variables on each car to take into consideration. As far as plotters go, tell us your budget your working with and you will get a reply probably immediately.

Right now, im looking at a total start up budget around $5000. Beacon has a Roland GX-300 start up bundle for like $4500, comes with cutter, software, some vinyl and tools and a few other things. Did not know if the 30" cutter would just be overkill for what I am going to be using it for if it it would just be worth the long term investment. Or would I be just fine using the 24" cutter? From the sounds of it though, I would be very wise staying with either the Roland, or the Graphtec, correct? I have a few cars that I am going to use for trial and error practice though.

GK

If its in your budget, get the 30" now. Trust me that 6" now will save you some kicking yourself in the @ss later on.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I did not want to catch myself doing a modified or late model and have to try and piece stuff together. I figured do it right the first time instead of many headaches later down the road. Does anyone know of a good supplier that would best to use when purchising my machine and all future supplies. Beacon had a real good start up package, did not know if anyone knew of anther comany that offered something similar. I live in the Kansas City area, would love to find a local supplier I could maybe do face to face business with.

Elwood Moose

Spring is race car season for me...

My advice is go bigger, and get the 30" cutter, as down the road, you will look back at your flourishing new sign business (no one got a cutter so they can make signs.. ha ha ha) and wonder how you could have done it smaller...

But to save on budgeting, you would be wise for your first order to bring in 15" vinyl rolls of your primary colours. Majority of cars WE do are mainly sponsor logos.. (make sure each car gets one of YOUR logos.. whether they ask foir it or not..) and on a stock car, most sponsors run under 15". This will save you a few bucks in intitial start up, and cut down on your waste.

Good luck... Around here, we do stock cars for fun.. not so much for profit...but we're suckers for loud cars.. and the comraderie of the drivers hanging around the shop....

You will need the 30" cutter to do your roof and door numbers. I know our local track specifies a 24" number on the door. And they mean a full 24" number we found out the hard way.

S

Sign-Man Signs

We use 24" plotters for everything except digital print. 24" vinyl is your best bet for price. We have done hundreds of race cars from go-karts to full blown Late Models and Sprint cars. Our thing is with the driver, give us your stuff you want on the car, drop the car off, come back and pick it up. We decided the design and colors. NEVER EVER have a driver stay in your shop while you do his car unless you want spend triple the hours doing it.
We use Lynx X-60 plotters from Sign Warehouse 24' model with stand. Good thing about the plotters is that they are work horses and have a great media handler ont he back. Package is about $1700.00 and come with and LXI software program (Flexi). My oldest plotter is 6 years old.
We use a Mutoh Prism Jet Extra for digital, like race decals and such.
Good LucK!

GARY CULY

i sell temmpletes for rocket ,mastersbilt ,rayburn and grt ,,dirt late models...very acurate ,,,,grided from actual cars ....not photos ...
gary HIP culy
see how nicely things fit when you have accurate templetes at WWW.HIPSTICKER.COM

GARY CULY

79.99 EACH ...burnt on disc and mailed ..lets not do any business on this board.!..im sure fred dont care for it and i personally think its rude and unethical to do it also...
hipempire @aol.com
ill NOT be posting on this thread anymore on this topic .....fred, if i done anything wrong on this thread i appologize ...as i said ...no more posts from me on this topic..im not getting thrown off here

Thank you everyone for your input. Gary, those are some big names you are letterin there for buddy. Must be nice to have some business like that coming around. I think I have got the information in which I was needing though. I will be ordering the start-up bundle from Beacon with the GX-300, which includes the fleix-8 software, 15 rolls of 30x10yrd vinyl, application tools and a few other misc. pieces of software. Unless someone can give me a reason why it would be a bad idea.

Thank you again for all the information and guidance. Hopefully I will get some pictures of my first car posted soon.

GARY CULY

Soseby ...theres A Girl Down The Road Here With A Complete Vynle System For Sale Pretty Cheap .i Been To Her Shop And Seen The Equipment For Sale ..its O.k Stuff ..she Tried To Do Exactly What Your Doing And Is Belly-up ..tough Arena To Start Up In ..youll Find Out ....anyways ..e-mail Hipempire@aol For Her Phone Number ..im Sure Youll Get Quite A Bit Of Vynle And Extras From Her Also ..just Another Option

GARY CULY

JUST HAD TO POST AGAIN ....
HERES MY GOOD FRIEND JOHN FLINNERS SITE ,,WWW.FLINNERSIGNSANDDECALS.COM ,GO VISIT IT ...ITLL INSPIRE YOU....ME AND JOHN HAVE BEEN SIGNWRITERS FOR 25-30 YEARS ,,HES PROBLY THE ONLY ONE I KNOW BESIDES MYSELF THAT GREW UP USING BRUSHES AND GRADUATED TO THE VYNLE /PRINTING ......DONT THINK YOU CAN LETTER CARS LIKE WE DO IN A YEAR OR SO CAUSE IT WONT HAPPEN ,,BUT DO LOOK AND OBSERVE HOW THINGS FIT ,SIZED ,ETC AND ITLL GET YOU ALONG FASTER
BUDDY I SEE EM COMMIN AT US EVERY YEAR ,ANOTHER KID GONNA RE-INVENT RACE CAR LETTERING ..AND THEN EVERY YEAR A FEW GO AWAY ..YOUR IN FOR A TOUGH RIDE THERE ..AINT AS EASY AS PEOPLE THINK ,,,,SO GET YOUR MONEY UP FRONT ,,KEEP YOUR OVERHEAD AS LOW AS YOU CAN ,,GET GOOD REST ,EAT RIGHT..YOUR FRIENDS THAT HELP WILL LEAVE AFTER A WHILE WHEN THE "FUN" IS OVER ..AND GOD BLESS YOU AS YOUR GETTING INTO SOMETHING THAT WILL MAKE YOU TIRED ALL THE TIME ....AND ILL STILL BE HERE WITH TEMPLETES WHEN YOUR HANDME DOWN OFF THE INTERNET ONES ARE FOUND NOT TO WORK ...JUST BECAUSE THEY "LOOK" LIKE THE SIDE OF A CAR ,DONT NEAN THE MEASUREMENT ARE ACCURATE ..
ILL TELL YOU ONE THING HERE THATLL SAVE SOME GRIEF SO PAY ATTENTION ...BOTH SIDES OF ANY L.M. ARE NOT THE SAME ..ALL THE NUMBERS ARE DIFFERENT ...BE AWARE THE RIGHT SIDES ARE DRASTICALLY SHORTER [UP AND DOWN] THAN LEFT .....THE AIR CLEANERS ARE NOT CENTERED IN THE HOODS AND THE NOSES ARE NOT CENTERED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CARS .....PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO MEASURE EACH CAR IF POSSIBLE ..GET INTO THAT HABBIT BEFORE YOU GET STEPED UP TO DIGITAL PRINTING AS THEN YOU MUST BE ACCURATE

GOOD LUCK ..GO GET EM!!
HIP

James Chrimes

I am looking at starting a new personal business to make some extra cash. I am looking at investing into a vinyl plotter to do race car graphics for friends and other local racers
If you are looking to make some extra money, I dont think that race cars as a start up is the way to go. But that is just me.... Be sure to research how much material and time it will take you to do each job and what you should make on top of it. I have seen a whole lot of people who have gotten vinyl cutters to do race cars because they thought that someone else was charging to much, only to be out of the business in six months. If you lived near me I would send all the race cars your way. Good luck, but make sure you do some homework.

Ya, im not in this for a main source of income, just for the fun of it. I dont expect to become the next best thing or anything along them lines, well not any time soon. I luckily have the help of my uncle on designing and such, he is a very seasoned graphic artist. The money I am getting for start up is free money I am getting from a class action lawsuit that was started against one of my previous employers due to an illegal overtime pay structure. So its not necassarily a loss if it doesnt work out really. Gary, I appreciate your advise and trust me I am taking it to consideration during this adventure. If it all takes off as planned, I will definately be getting ahold of you for them templates. I have however been around race cars my whole life, so fortunately I am aware of all the off sets that goes into these cars. Being a driver and having helped out in many pits and shops in my 25 years I think may help benefit me a little in this adventure. But again, thank you guys very much for all your help and guidance.

wildside

also keep in mind your competition, up in the KC area you will hear often that a guy named Robbie, signs by robbie i think, is the way to go no question among the drivers

racing is a very tough thing to cover, the average driver will want to spend 200 or less on a car, usually much less, and you will have 150 bucks into materials and not counting labor, we have never made a penny on a race car, always lost money, thats why we only do one or two cars for certain individuals, and that is more for the business we get off the other sponsors than anything...Good luck

Ya, I am familiar with Robbie, that man does some great work no doubt about it. One benefit I will have on that though is he is nearly 3 hours from me. So hopefully I will get some of the local business. As of right now, I have about 5 cars lined up to do already, mostly just friends and family. My first victim will be my brothers street stock that he is selling, I am going to throw in new graphics to the new owners liking to help sweetin the deal a little. Thankfully the area I am is blessed with an abundance of racing having 15 tracks all within and hour and a half of where I am located. Most of our local tracks are pulling between 50 and 110 cars a night and have racing every night of the weekend. But then again, its not like this is going to be my main source of income, just something to keep me busy during my free time and keep me around some race cars which is the main reason im interested in it.

thank you again