• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec 5000 or 8000 whats the difference?

So I am in the market for a new (or used if I can find a good deal) cutter.
As of right now I am between two Graphtec models. The main reason that I am going after Graphtec is because I have heard good things about the tracking abilities and the ARM system.
My question is about the difference between the 5000 and the 8000 models.
I am a small 2 person shop that because of economical reasons I am back to working out of my out building that is on my property:doh:
I would be doing a moderate amount of cutting with the machine, it would be going maybe for a few jobs a day 3 days a week at best. The majority of my work is printed banners, wraps, perf, etc.
I am obviously trying to watch my costs on whatever I choose that is why I am leaning towards the 5000 but I want to get some others opinions.
Will the 5000 do me good for now? Once I can get back up on my feet again and open up shop in a real place again I may upgrade if needed and keep the 5000 as a backup cutter. Or at least that is what I am thinking right now.
What are the main differences between the 2 models? Will I regret not having gone with the 8000?
Any opinions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks

briankb

Premium Subscriber
as far as I understand it the 8000 has better optical reader to help find the registration marks on a wider range of media. also it has perforation cuts. I'm not sure of the other differences. And I'm interested in any other differences as well.

what size are you looking to buy?

If it's beyond a 24" for a little bit more you can get a SummaCut.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
i don't think so. the best way to review the differences is to go to graphtecusa.com and download the brochures in PDF for both, print out the specs page and hit it with a highlighter.

And as long as you are doing that do the same for the SummaCut. If you call Summa ask for Drew. He's cool and doesn't mind a few questions. I've talked to him a few times over the past month while I did my own research and trying to decide on a new cutter.

5000 - http://www.graphtecamerica.com/datasheets/GAI-CE5000-08-web.pdf
8000 - http://www.graphtecamerica.com/datasheets/GAI-FC8000-3-web.pdf
SummaCut - http://www.summausa.com/downloads/summacut.pdf

Thanks for those files! The Summa looks nice enough but I dont know if I am looking for that much machine. I am not going to be cutting sand mask or anything like that.
Just vinyl and maybe scoring the occasional magnets.
I am going to compare all of those though.
Anyone else have any insight?

jasonx

I have two FC8000-160's and they run like a champ. I cut vinyl and do heaps of perforation cutting. Wouldn't mind a zund cutting table though :)

Neil

Hey Jase how much did you pay for your 8000's?
I asked Anitech here in Adelaide and they wanted nearly $14k ($AUD) for the 54" model.

As to the original question - I have the 7000-75 and it's a great cutter and the ARMS works perfectly.

jasonx

Hey Jase how much did you pay for your 8000's?
I asked Anitech here in Adelaide and they wanted nearly $14k ($AUD) for the 54" model.

As to the original question - I have the 7000-75 and it's a great cutter and the ARMS works perfectly.

Hey Neil, My first one was a fair bit less. Before the price rises and the currency dropping. My second one from memory was in the 13k range and that was in January and I got a cheaper price for setting it up myself etc.

PM Me if you want the specifics.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The CE5000 series is Graphtec's Engineering Class vinyl cutter, the FC8000 series is the High Performance series. Both models are capable of contour cutting but I highly recommend the FC8000 series for this purpose. The FC8000 Series has the ability to adjust the sensitivity of the Registration Mark Sensor by pressing a few buttons; this enables it to read a wider range of Medias. The FC8000 series is a faster cutter and capable of more downward force then the CE5000 series can. The FC8000 series has also been redesigned and has a much improved control panel. If you have the money and are going to use the cutter on a regular bases for contour cutting and magnetic I would definitely get the FC8000 series. The FC8000 Series also has an optional Ethernet connection as well. If you have any questions you can give me a call (973) 808-8600 Ext. 116 or e-mail me at techsupport@thegrs.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to go with the 8000 30" I decided on but now I'm wondering if I should wait till the NBM show in Baltimore to try and scope out a good deal. I can get it from my local dealer for a good deal ($650 less than the best price I have found online) but I wonder if I can get an even better deal at the show? Hmmm..
anyone have any thoughts?