• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

graphtec 8600 cutting problems

MimakiGuy

It is hitting and missing on cutting out properly. Impossible to weed. Not consistent where it messes up either.
One order it cuts fine, and the next order, wont cut half of it good. Same material..
It is also randomly making lines in the material. Like it cut out an A, and made a line through it and cut the right leg of it off.
Wonder whats going on?

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Have you tried changing the cutting strip?

How big are the jobs? If it is messing up on longer jobs, it could be the rollers. Check those to make sure they are clean.

Any hidden lines in the dieline that it is picking up?

Is there tension in the rollers? Perhaps the tension on one roller is off and the material is bubbling.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Have you tried turning the machine off and on again? I know it sounds ridiculous, but that fixes 75% of issues as well.

Andy Mars

I'd check the cutting strip too. I cleaned mine recently and it mad all the difference. Also like Adam said, check to make sure there isn't any hidden lines in your file

JBurton

Signtologist
Have you tried changing the cutting strip?
Definitely this. What happens is the force gets turned up when folks notice their cuts aren't completely through, then when it gets to an area where the strip has be slit, the knife ends up going all the way through, getting lodged in the media/strip, then not popping back up exactly when it should, and adding slices throughout the vinyl.
First step for anybody troubleshooting a plotter should just be to replace the strip. Keep a spare handy for when the new guys sets the wheels up wrong.
Not consistent where it messes up either.
If you send the exact same thing twice, I'll wager it does mess it up 90% in the same way as the first.

Graphtec hates this little trick, but it can save you from spending extra money on cutting strips. Begin by removing the old strip and cleaning any residual glue with isopropyl alcohol.(Take your time and don't rush this step, make sure to have a glue free surface to avoid any issue after applying the new strip.)
Then, get Black Gorilla Tape (it has to be gorilla brand) and cut a 1/2-inch-wide strip by the length of the cutting base. Ensure the straight edge of the tape is applied to the inner side of the cutting base, and carefully trim the excess with a blade along the contour cut channel for a neat finish.

This solution should resolve most, if not all, of the issues. I've using this method for some time now without encountering any problems, and it lasts longer than the standard cutting strip.

IF you have any questions just let me know.

Last edited:

Joseph44708

I Drink And I Know Things
Trt cutting in the channel, I only cut in the channel on four 8600's and one 9000 series graftec cutters, never a problem, kiss cut or straight thru cut.
I cut 485 rolls of 54" × 100' 6 mill vinyl this past year and only burned thru six OEM Graftec blades.