• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec CE5000-120 (Flexi) - blade drop (slamming)

BetaCtz

Hi folks,

I have an older CE5000-120 that has worked flawlessly for me over the past number of years.

Out of nowhere when it runs through a cut process, every time it wants to put the blade down it does it with a slam (and noise), not smoothly like it normally would.

This is causing some of my corners to get chewed up. Actual cut lines are fine, just no longer getting smooth corners like I'm used to.

View video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hdXAjMenU8qDC7fW6

- Cutting strip is in reasonable shape
- brand new blade/spring
- blade holder, etc are tight
- no changes to software (FlexiSign) that I'm aware of.

Troubleshooting steps:
- Disconnected from PC and did a test cut standalone - same issue.
- Tried restarting the PC, etc.
- Reset to factory settings and confirmed everything looks right in settings
- Also pulled the cover off the blade holder carriage, everything looks reasonably how you'd expect it to.

Thank you.

Any thoughts?

BetaCtz

After much research, talking to tech's both from Graphtec and local shops, I've found the following:

I replaced the LED component of the Led reader/encoder strip on the pen block with a part number from an electronics vendor that matched.
Same results, slamming knife blade.

Checked my mainboard, powerboard for any blown resistors, capacitors, burnt spots, etc - all looks good.

Everyone is pointing me to replace the $650 USD pen block (full head) of the unit but can not guarantee it will work, or allow for me to return the part if it doesn't work.

woolly

After much research, talking to tech's both from Graphtec and local shops, I've found the following:

I replaced the LED component of the Led reader/encoder strip on the pen block with a part number from an electronics vendor that matched.
Same results, slamming knife blade.

Checked my mainboard, powerboard for any blown resistors, capacitors, burnt spots, etc - all looks good.

Everyone is pointing me to replace the $650 USD pen block (full head) of the unit but can not guarantee it will work, or allow for me to return the part if it doesn't work.

i can't see very well but the blade holder does not appear to be located fully down in the block ( its slipped up) this i think will make this noise cos the pen holder is slamming against the bottom of the block unit just luck that the vinyl is being cut by having to much blade showing.

BetaCtz

Wishing it was this simple.
The round lip of the blade holder is definitely secured in place by the black plastic clasp on the penblock mechanism. I think the movement you're seeing is the overall vibration from the whole assembly when it slams.

I've have also tried a different blade holder than the one in the video - same issue.

woolly

Ok see it better on my phone. Still seems like a lot of movement. Does the cross cutter work ok. As this holds the knife higher.
The thing they had you do was a possibility but surprised they did not suggest the main ribbon flat cable or to reseat it. Also double check in the settings that the initial down pressure has not altered .

BetaCtz

There is no cross-cutter on this machine.
Any vibration or movement you're seeing is from impact, or my shaky video skills :0, it's rigid and sturdy to the manual touch by hand.

Still continuing to cut with it since my original post, just a little more flawed cuts that I have to clean-up by hand with a blade.

I'll try to re-seat the main ribbon cable.

Initial downpressure is at 0.
I have also re-flashed the firmware.
Gone through settings to make sure nothing is making it speed up that impact.

All techs are telling me their fix would be to throw a pen block at the machine, but Graphtec is asking $650 USD.
The big kicker - if it doesn't fix it, I can't return it (even if installed through a supplier/certified shop).

I'm savvy enough to install and set-up the machine (use the service manuals, etc), but I don't want a $650 paperweight on my hands if every person I've spoke to mis-diagnosed this issue.

A new detail
When I do the gram force setting in service mode. ie, 10g, 100g, etc.
If I try to manually set 10g, I get "ENCODER ERROR" on the screen, the other settings set correctly. Not even a tech. from Graphtec could tell me much based from that error on the screen. I've already replaced the LED reader that reads the encoding strip on the pen block.

ramosjoao

Hi folks,

I have an older CE5000-120 that has worked flawlessly for me over the past number of years.

Out of nowhere when it runs through a cut process, every time it wants to put the blade down it does it with a slam (and noise), not smoothly like it normally would.

This is causing some of my corners to get chewed up. Actual cut lines are fine, just no longer getting smooth corners like I'm used to.

View video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/hdXAjMenU8qDC7fW6

- Cutting strip is in reasonable shape
- brand new blade/spring
- blade holder, etc are tight
- no changes to software (FlexiSign) that I'm aware of.

Troubleshooting steps:
- Disconnected from PC and did a test cut standalone - same issue.
- Tried restarting the PC, etc.
- Reset to factory settings and confirmed everything looks right in settings
- Also pulled the cover off the blade holder carriage, everything looks reasonably how you'd expect it to.

Thank you.

Any thoughts?
Hi there,

I have a CE3000-120 and I have the same problem as you. The blade is slamming when going down and up.

May I ask if how did you manage to solve this same problem?

View video here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r-_w9s95kNcS2SG6nyWacO0oXTWgWSsH/view?usp=drive_link

Many thanks,

Joao Ramos

BetaCtz

Unfortunately I didn't fix it. I was able to run the machine for about 24 months like this.
It eventually came to a point where the blade was not holding it's down force during a cut and would bounce like a pogo stick.

I ended up buying a new machine.

I did change the LED reader that reads the encoding strip, it had zero effect.

ramosjoao

Unfortunately I didn't fix it. I was able to run the machine for about 24 months like this.
It eventually came to a point where the blade was not holding it's down force during a cut and would bounce like a pogo stick.

I ended up buying a new machine.

I did change the LED reader that reads the encoding strip, it had zero effect.
Many thanks for your response,
I will take your experience as an advice and will not waste my time and money on this issue.
I have a big Roland printer that prints and cuts all the works, just wanted to keep this cutter in case the other is busy while printing.
Thank you anyway.
Regards,
J.Ramos

BetaCtz

I ended up upgrading to a FC9000 54". A good chunk of $, but worth it for my business.

I have kept mind around as a "parts machine". I'll probably end up stripping the parts off it - let them die on a dusty shelf for years, then eventually come to terms with not needing them any more, lol.