• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec CE5000 Cutting Strip

GP

We have to cut 1000 decals this weekend - I was just giving the Graphtec a once-over since she hasn't been cutting too smoothly lately (just turned 3 years old)

It generally starts the first cut of a job with a violent downward stabbing motion that usually nicks the vinyl or makes a sloppy first cut.

Then, there are several very slight mis-cuts which can usually be cleaned up manually. Still, very frustrating.

So, I reset my settings to the original setting and finally checked the cutting strip. There is a pretty deep groove all the way across.

3 part question:

1- Is this the source of my cutting inaccuracies?

2- The groove seems off-center - can I slip the strip around for a temporary fix so I can cut this weekend with better results (while a replacement part is ordered?

3 - Where is a good place to order parts? I need to get some backstock blades as well - down to one spare.

Thanks,

GP

Attachments

• signs101.jpg
    signs101.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 227

thewvsignguy

Order a new one asap signwarehouse.com sells some of the graphtec parts.

As a quick fix I would take the strip up, and use the back of the worn out one. It's not uncommon for them not to be centered, just put it back in the same position as you pulled the strip up. If you have some banner tape you can remove the old stuff if the strip does not stick. Be sure to remove all of the sticky residue to make sure the strip is level. Good luck!

GP

Alight - so perhaps I should have had some sort of maintenance check list.

The Teflon strip, which as it turns out, is a thin piece of adhesive was completely cut through. Because this went unnoticed for an extended period of time, there is a defined groove in the plastic beneath this protective strip.

As a quick fix, I put a strip of 651 down in attempt to smooth things over so we can keep working. Seems to work - and after restoring the factory settings, the cutter seems to be working better.

(sorry for the mundane details - trying to document this for future searches)

GP

Attachments

• signs101.jpg
    signs101.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 197