• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec coming out with a new plotter?

Brandon708

Hey everyone,

I was going to buy a new FC8000-160 in a week or so and I was wondering if anyone knew if they where going to be coming out with a newer version soon. Maybe the FC9000? I know the FC7000 came out in 2005 and the FC8000 in 2008. So my question is do you think they will be comnig out with a FC9000 in 2011?

I would hate to buy a 8000 and then a few months later they come out with a better one.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon708

Well I just got off the phone with Graphtec and they said they usually get a years notice when one is coming out and they haven't heard anything yet. He said by the time table since the older plotters debut being 3 years a new on might come out at the end of 2011 or the begining of 2012.

CES020

Even if they do, it's not much you won't be able to do with the old model. We bought our FC-7000 and it was deemed the latest and greatest. A short time after we got it, I went on the graphtec site looking for some documentation and I couldn't find our model at all. Finally found it in the "obsolete" section. Wasn't really happy to find that out, but in the end, I don't think I would have used a single thing on the 8000 that we can't do on the 7000. I guess if you use all those fancy things, it's got some merit, but for plotting, how complicated do you want?

Don't sweat it, buy it now. Show prices should be in tact too, since it's Sign World 2010 in 2 weeks.

Flame

You do realize a 10 year old plotter can still perform like a beauty right? Printers....HUGE upgrades with each model. Plotters....eh. I've come to find you don't really need the latest and greatest.

Just my opinion.

Brandon708

You do realize a 10 year old plotter can still perform like a beauty right? Printers....HUGE upgrades with each model. Plotters....eh. I've come to find you don't really need the latest and greatest.

Just my opinion.

you are right. However in 10 years when I still have it I would like it not to be 20 years old.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
you are right. However in 10 years when I still have it I would like it not to be 20 years old.

Why? What is there about being 20 years old that's inherently bad?

I daily wrangle tools far older than that and don't have a thought about how old they are. Performing to specifications is performing to specifications, there is no age limit nor statute of limitations. I recently bought a 50 to 60 year old Cutawl from another shoveler on this sand pile and never give a thought to its age. It works perfectly and the design of this tool hasn't changed dramatically for at least a 100 years.

Brandon708

Sorry to offend anyone. I didn't mean by me not wanting a 10 plotter being bad. I'm sure a bunch of people have older equipment as do I.

If plotters where build as well as a cutawl then I would have no worries getting a 50 year old plotter as long as it will contour and perf cut. ;)

CES020

Brandon, wait a couple of weeks if you can, I'll let you know about the show pricing. Normally all you have to do is to call the sales rep for your area and tell him you want the show price, or better yet, call him/her now and tell them you want to buy a plotter and you want the show price that will be at USSC's Sign World. From my limited experience, the show price is normally the same at everyone's booth that is selling plotters. I've not seen a lot of difference from one place to the next.

Of course, you might want to visit the USSC's site to see who's going to be there. Asking for the show price from a company that's not going to the show might make you look silly :)