• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec cutter - WTF is *that* all about

trakers

Up until a couple weeks ago our Graphtec CE5000-60 was flawless. Then out of no where it started doing the following.

On the first cut of the day, on the first character of text, it will move the head over to the location, start going through the X-Y motions of cutting then drop the knife.

So, for instance, if you are cutting an O the outside cut will have about a 3/8' section that is uncut. It looks like the head is moving in the correct fashion, just that the knife doesn't drop for that first 3/8" of an inch.

Damnedest thing I've ever seen.

I need to narrow it down to the cutter or the software first I guess. Just thought someone might say "Well here's you problem".

Also on the Graphtec, I need to change the cut strip because it has a furrow worn in it. People have mentioned flipping the existing strip. Ours in indeed not centered so I think that would work, just need some guidance on removing the old one. It looks to me like it is just stuck down and I should be able to pry up one end and pull it up.

CES020

The cut strip is very thin,so don't mess up and try and pull the entire thing out. It's about .020" thick at the most. Just put a razor knife under it and it'll start to come up.

At least that how the one we have is made.

BrianKE

For your cutting issue make sure a small piece of vinyl hasn't snuck its way up into the knife housing. This happened to me once and thankfully was easy to spot as it was neon vinyl. The adhesive on the vinyl was keeping the knife from going down and coming up when it was supposed to and I ended it with what appeared to be random/incomplete cuts.

chopper

the cutter strip is easily replaced, you can get a new one from sign ware house,
I wouldn't wast my time trying to reuse it....
as far a the other issue it is the solenoid that controls the blade,
you need to take the head apart, there may be a plastic guard over the head that needs to be removed. I am not familiar witht he graphtec but they all run on the same princaple, check to make sure that the unit is clean, you can end up with gunk in on or around the selinoid
if you clean it that should take care of it, every so often say twice a year it is a good idea to take it apart and clean it, air preasue shold be all that is need, and maybe a little 3 in one oil on the moving parts and I do mean little
//chopper

David Wright

Well, welcome to my club. I posted on two boards recently on something similar. I talked to a tech at Summa about the cut not finishing and only one area usually. I have been running some tests and will try and confirm Monday.
According to the things I talked about with Summa he thinks it could be a problem with the head which holds the blade assembly,
sticking maybe. Worst case, new head but also he told me there might be some adjustments that can be done.

Of course by Monday I may find it is something else. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new head. I will keep you posted.

chopper

Well, welcome to my club. I posted on two boards recently on something similar. I talked to a tech at Summa about the cut not finishing and only one area usually. I have been running some tests and will try and confirm Monday.
According to the things I talked about with Summa he thinks it could be a problem with the head which holds the blade assembly,
sticking maybe. Worst case, new head but also he told me there might be some adjustments that can be done.

Of course by Monday I may find it is something else. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new head. I will keep you posted.

you may want to look through the archives there were posts on this exact same issue with the summa and instead of the head you could do some kinda repair, I cannot quite remember but if you look through the summa area I am sure you will find it
//chopper

trakers

Issue SOLVED

I solved my issue.

Refer to the photo. The problem was after the knife sat for awhile there was an ever so slight "stick" at the point indicated by the arrow. This cause a very slight delay before it would drop, and thus the missed cut.

I cleaned it with a lint-free cloth ever so slightly wetted with Iso. Works perfect again.

I hope this helps someone else sometime.

Attachments

• graphtec.jpg
    graphtec.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 123

GP

Glad you got it working properly. And thanks for the follow up - that is good information!

GP

rcook99

I have a Summa T-750 that tends to stick on the upside also but was never able to fix it. When I run the test cut it runs through it fine but it sticks up and has miss cuts as you explained. I talked with Summa and they stated it would need a new head at the cost of about $1,900.00. I will have to try your fix and see if it works. I also have a Graphtec FC7000-75 that runs great.

David Wright

Boy the price to fix the head on the T750 keeps going up. They told me between $1500 and $1600 for my Summa. Nice to know there are no easy fixes like other machines have with similar problems.
I will just buy a new plotter I guess, not Summa though.

jiarby

Same thing happened to me a couple years ago.. I made a thread then just like this one and posted a similar picture!

Attachments

• oilme.jpg
    oilme.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 124

trakers

The Graphtec technician almost had a coronary when I asked him if I should lubricate that part, before I knew the cause.

In my case it wasn't about lubrication just that the cylinder was "sticking" to that little pad. Since we got the printer the cutter has been quite idle.