Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Graphtec FC 8000 64"

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by Mike G, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Brookfield Ct
    I have a Graphtec FC 8000 - 64" that cuts vinyl well, but has some problems with print/cut. It loses the registration marks. I am thinking about replacing it, but I am not sure what to ask if I sell it? Any suggestions?

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What software are you utilizing? I have a very detailed write up for a specific setup, but it translates well. I found that all the RIP software in the world won't make the graphtec run, but placing registration marks with corel and printing them without any communication between the two programs works well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Mike G

Mike G New Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Brookfield Ct
    I am using Onyx for RIP, and Cut Master for the Graphtec.

4. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    I have had issues in the past with Onyx driving a FC8000 not finding registration marks and it was super frustrating. We never were able to get it perfect. Sometimes it would miss the marks 9 out of 10 times and then it would find them some how and begin cutting.

5. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Is that cutting master the plugin from graphtec I imagine? We run corel and onyx, and I never got onyx to send the plot file to the plotter. I tried everything until I realized cutting master (3, not sure about 4) in corel will draw registration marks. From there it was a matter of figuring out that as long as they were converted to an object with no outline, yet retaining them on the appropriate layer in a corel file (ideally a separate file), and then of course making sure your graphics aren't put in the plotter backwards. 60% of the time, it works every time!

6. timgo

timgo Graphics Designer

Aug 20, 2016
    Delft
    What's your Windows version?

7. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

Odd. I've been using an FC8000 for a long time with Onyx, and never had any trouble cutting from Onyx with it.

8. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I'd ask how you go about it, but man I got so frustrated I won't bother. At this point it takes me maybe 2 extra minutes to execute the registration marks. It's just a matter of remembering it in my whole process, but I guess everybody's run a plot job with no reg marks?

9. unclebun

It's really simple. We have two different plotters, an old Mimaki and the Graphtec. When printing the job you select the cutter in Onyx while you're preflighting it (we have a Quick Set that makes it go to the one you want). It prints the registration marks itself; I don't have to do anything other than tell it which cutter I want. Then you go to the computer that runs the cutter and open the CutServer software. The jobs will automatically appear in the cutserver if you have set the hot folders correctly. You put the vinyl in the plotter, and initialize the plotter. Then move the blade into the first corner of the registration marks, and press no buttons; just leave it there. From the CutServer, select the cut job and click the cut button. That's it.

10. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    No spot colors named goofy stuff?

11. unclebun

We print from Corel Draw, so we do have a custom palette with the color CutContour in it (you can make it any color but we use C0M1Y0K0). You use that color as the pen line (using the outline pen) for any shapes you want the plotter to cut. In the Quick Set you check the box "Use Cutter Path Prefix" and fill in CutContour as the prefix. You don't need to do anything with spot colors in the preflight (Job Editor).

12. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Can you choose the cutting order or cut a different forces for different layers?

13. unclebun

No.

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Ah ha! I knew their was some sort of advantage. I just ran out a mess of stickers in 100ct batches. About to plot all 100, then starting from the front edge of the sheet, cut out the square backgrounds at a higher force for the whole row, split that row off of the sheet, and proceed to the next row.

15. richsweeney

richsweeney Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Renton WA
    Shot in the dark, are you making you have at least 1 inch from the arrow on both the top and bottom of the sheet?