• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC2100 60A - Can I make a DB25-to-USB cable?

fredges

Fred
Hello, Hoping you can offer me advice. I have a Graphtec CuttingProFC-2100 60A plotter that uses a parallel connector (DB25, I believe, I will attach a photo of the cable I’m using).

Since OS 10.11 came out, my adaptor no longer works and there is no hope for a new driver from Tripplite (who now owns the Keyspan line). I need to get rid of the adaptor somehow...

I’m wondering if there is a cable I can buy to go from the parallel port on my plotter to USB on my computer? I’ve been using an iMac with a Keyspan serial-to USB adaptor, but it’s not optimal. The Serial-to-USB cable I created years ago.

I’d like to know the pin-outs so I can make a cable that will work with no adaptors. Is it possible?

Thank you in advance.
-Fred

fredges

Fred
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2642.JPG
    IMG_2642.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 1,745

fredges

Fred
Thanks! But that is a DB9, and my plotter is DB25 (RS232C) or PARALLEL... (see the photo)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2651.jpg
    IMG_2651.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,424
  • IMG_2652.jpg
    IMG_2652.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,415

Chad.

I linked the wrong adapter ... doh. I too have a graphtec FC5100 which is RS232 ... i had been using and identical Keyspan Adapter but we recently retired that machine. I can't imagine keyspan being the only option. The one thing i do remember from the day we received the plotter was the headache of finally realizing Graphtec has their own custom cable configurations and an off the shelf won't do the trick. Hopefully the solution rick posted will get you up and running again

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Here's my setup. For some reason I thought the 25 pin to 9 pin adapter came from Graphtec and was a special cable? I have an image with the part # 20160103_144219.jpg 20160103_144326.jpg 20160103_144333.jpg

fredges

Fred
Here's my setup. For some reason I thought the 25 pin to 9 pin adapter came from Graphtec and was a special cable? I have an image with the part #
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Wow! "Tandy"! That's old school Radio Shack! Very cool! :)
If I could just get the pin-out diagram for the Graphtec it would help immensely! Anyone have that? I may be able to mimic what you have here, and make my own cable(s).... Is there anything special about that 9-pin-to-USB cable?

Chad.

There is some circuit info in the users manual on the graphtec site. Unfortunately it's an old scanned copy so you have to find it manually. (looks to start about page 103 or 6-1 in the manual)

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/docs/User_Manuals/CutPlot_UM/FC2100-50-UM.PDF

additionally graphtec has multiple cables in their "shop" section in the event one of these will work.

http://www.graphtecamericastore.com/cables/

If you can make a cable based on that info than you are a better person than I! :)

fredges

Fred
There is some circuit info in the users manual on the graphtec site. Unfortunately it's an old scanned copy so you have to find it manually. (looks to start about page 103 or 6-1 in the manual)

http://www.graphtecamerica.com/docs/User_Manuals/CutPlot_UM/FC2100-50-UM.PDF

additionally graphtec has multiple cables in their "shop" section in the event one of these will work.

http://www.graphtecamericastore.com/cables/

If you can make a cable based on that info than you are a better person than I! :)

Excellent! Thanks Chad, this should help me build a cable. Maybe I can build a single cable? Anyway, here's what I've started:
attachment.php

I will post my findings and results, and I'll fill out the numbers for my diagram. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 1.47.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 1.47.16 PM.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,637

fredges

Fred
Here's my setup. For some reason I thought the 25 pin to 9 pin adapter came from Graphtec and was a special cable? I have an image with the part #
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Hey Jester, the 9-pin cable of yours, are there electronics in it?? I'm wondering if I need a special "translator" of some kind, or something, or can I just create a DB25-to-USB and bypass the 9-pin bits? I'd be surprised if I could, seeing as there are only 4 pins in USB....

UGH!! I really need to figure out the pin-out of the graphic!!

The manual Chad provided had this pin-out, but I fear it may be incorrect, as the manual is for the FC2100 50, and mine is a FC2100-60a.... The images in the manual don't look like mine... here is a photo...
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 2.20.59 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-03 at 2.20.59 PM.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,504
  • IMG_2655.JPG
    IMG_2655.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,565

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
No electronics inside. I took some images to help with the wiring. The 9 pin to usb was a standard cable I bought off of Amazon.

20160104_101142.jpg 20160104_101152.jpg 20160104_101207.jpg 20160104_101217.jpg