• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC7000-100 question - troubleshooting

schramm

Hello all, I own a Vinyl Express Q100 which is the Graphtec FC7000-100 (42" plotter). Somehow I think I have a issue with it even though it works perfectly. I bought a new iMac and have had it for about 3 weeks but I was moving my desk yesterday and unplugged all my USB plug ins from the back of the computer and when I went to plug them back in (with my plotter OFF) I noticed sparking coming from the USB that I was plugging into. I tried my printer in that spot with no issue however once again when I went to plug the plotter in it sparked. Now it works perfectly but I have had it unplugged until I can talk to Graphtec as I sat on the phone with AppleCare and the issue is defiantly with the plotter.

My question is, while this seems rare it may be common and was wondering if it has happened to any of you and if so how was it fixed. Seems to me that the plotter may have a ground issue that needs to be addressed but I cannot destroy my new computer due to this (not saying it will). Any help would be great.

Thanks
Rob

Bill Modzel

I have the 7000 also but I've never ever seen a spark from a USB cable.
My first guess would be you have a bad cable that's shorted somewhere.
Just to make sure, I'd think about taking the iMac in and having them run a test
on the uSB ports just in case there's something loose there.

signage

This sound like you have an issue with the wiring on the receptacle for either your computer or your plotter! What it sound like is one of the receptacles is wired incorrectly and is searching for ground/neutral through your equipment ground and the USB cable!

schramm

This sound like you have an issue with the wiring on the receptacle for either your computer or your plotter! What it sound like is one of the receptacles is wired incorrectly and is searching for ground/neutral through your equipment ground and the USB cable!

I have it fixed, thanks for the response but I figured out last night that there is an issue with the outlet and all is fine!