• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC7000 Power Issues

os101king

Ok, so here's the thing. She's a little long in the tooth but today mid-cut she shut down. Motors stopped, display shut off and now cycles every 10 seconds or so and tries to re-power. I'm assuming it's a power supply because the display flashes on and then off with a noticeable click. Repeated about five times before I figured it was a bad idea to stand there and listen to it click.

So she's off and I have a call in to GRS where I bought it.... but my big question here is parts availability. If it's a power supply then does anyone know where to buy them and is a SERVICE manual available? Not a USER manual, a SERVICE manual.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:frustrated:

Jim Doggett

os101king said:
Ok, so here's the thing. She's a little long in the tooth but today mid-cut she shut down. Motors stopped, display shut off and now cycles every 10 seconds or so and tries to re-power. I'm assuming it's a power supply because the display flashes on and then off with a noticeable click. Repeated about five times before I figured it was a bad idea to stand there and listen to it click.

So she's off and I have a call in to GRS where I bought it.... but my big question here is parts availability. If it's a power supply then does anyone know where to buy them and is a SERVICE manual available? Not a USER manual, a SERVICE manual.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

:frustrated:

Could be mainboard, too. If power flashes, it's getting juice.

If GRS cannot help, maybe we can. We're the biggest Graphtec dealer bar none and an authorized service center.

www.signwarehouse.com/support

Best,

Jim Doggett
www.signwarehouse.com

os101king

I was hoping it wasn't... yeah I guess you're right. Have you seen many of these go? I bought it new four years ago. I can't be down, I'm a small shop with one cutter. Have to figure out a way to get her up and running here.

os101king

Ok, so does this mean anything? I pulled the covers, unplugged the main power lead for the main board from the power supply and it offers a very soft click when I flip the switch on and the normal hard click when I switch it off. No cycling or breaker trip. Pointing towards main board or am I jumping to conclusions?

os101king

So a little birdy told me to test the power supply output for 40V and if it's there it's the main board. Any advice on that? Any experience? You'd think the FC was an unusual plotter or somethin!?!?

CS-SignSupply

Are you asking how to measure the output of the PS? I would agree with the "Birdy's" suggestion and direction. If 40V out is steady and does not drop when you hear the click, the PS is doing its job.

os101king

Well the birdy pulled out his meter and tested the output. 39.9 V with the main board's lead disconnected... it clicks off too quickly to get a reading while the lead is plugged in. Is there nothing in the power stream that could have gone bad OTHER than the entire main board??

CS-SignSupply

Their must be a component on the mainboard that has failed. One option, contact a board repairman such as Jemmings in Atlanta... (678) 714-1990

Sorry for your loss.

os101king

Chris at GRS got back to me... they're finding a board for me... as I'm not known for my patience I don't know that I'd be able to recalibrate it correctly after a board switch and not willing to take the chance of screwing up a $700 part. I feel better being able to narrow it down... I don't mind having pros fix things, but I feel dodgy trusting them completely to tell me what's wrong. Like bringing a car to a garage with a weird noise you haven't even bothered to check. Could be a pulley OR a main bearing but without opening the hood you'd never know. Thanks again folks. I'll post the final cost of the board when I get it and a review of their service (although GRS has always been top-notch with me). If you're in his area though, I'd give Bobby up there a call. He was totally spot on with this problem for me and I always appreciate board members who are up to help. I think I'll do a little trolling today and see if I can pay that forward!

Cheers!