• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC7000 with Roland blades

Vladimir

I just purchased a used Vinyl Express Q100. The previous owner only told me that he replaced the original blade holder with an aluminum one. After searching a bit, I believe that the holder is a Roland one and the extra blades he supplied me with are Roland blades.

My question is how should I set up the plotter with this in mind? The offset choices, for example, are for Graphtec blades, and I am only able to modify the default by +-5.

I ask because some of my test letters are a little uneven, corners not so sharp, shapes that do not close completely, and little scratch marks on the good part of the vinyl.

I am very new to this, so any help would be appreciated.

In case this makes any difference, I am using a Vista 32bit PC, Illustrator CS5, with a driver downloaded from the Sign Warehouse website.

Thank you,
Vladimir

My question is how should I set up the plotter with this in mind? The offset choices, for example, are for Graphtec blades, and I am only able to modify the default by +-5.

In my estimation, you shouldn't, not when obtaining the proper Graphtec knife and holder is a nominal expense (Graphtec CB09 knife and holder runs less than $100).

Jim Doggett

In my estimation, you shouldn't, not when obtaining the proper Graphtec knife and holder is a nominal expense (Graphtec CB09 knife and holder runs less than $100).

Definitely. Uber +1, CR.

Moreover, Graphtec blades are vastly superior, and you really should have the correct blade-holder installed on the cutter. You bought a great machine; taking proper care will assure it serves you flawlessly for many years.

Check options and prices here: http://sign-supplies.signwarehouse.com/search/index?query=q+series+blades

Thanks,

Vladimir

Thank you for putting the problem into perspective. Will look into replacing the holder with a Graphtec one for best results. A shame to think the 30-odd spare blades I inherited will go to waste...

Vladimir

It's a great idea. The holder is aluminum and in beautiful condition. But the blades are unmarked and are all packed in their foam in unmarked boxes. I wouldn't know how to start identifying them.

S'N'S

There is nothing wrong with Roland blades and if you have a heap, why not use them, obviously the other guy did.
1. Put a new blade in the holder.
2. Adjust the blade holder so the tip of the blade is only just noticeable if you run your finger over the end?
3. Then hold the blade holder like a pen and scribble a circle on scrap vinyl so that it cleanly cuts the vinyl but not the backing.
4. Adjust the offset one way or the other in small increments and test cut on scrap, take notice of corners (should be sharp) and start/ finish of cut ( being closed).

I think from memory the standard Roland blade has a 0.250 offset.