• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC8000-160, "Groaning"

Hicalibersigns

First, let me say that the unit is working perfectly. However, instead of its original smooth gliding motion it how seems to jerk along in fits and starts and makes a groaning noise. Is there some maintenance that needs doing? The Graphtec manual really doesn't say anything about cleaning or lubrication. Any suggestions???

The only periodic lubrication maintenance that Graphtec recommends is on the carriage. The z-axis (pen up/ down) spring-loaded actuator should be cleaned and lubricated periodically to ensure that it does not stick. It is located behind the plastic carriage cover that can be removed with two screws. Lithium oil works well for this.
Do not overdo it on the lubricant as it will drip onto your media if you use too much.

The groaning sound is probably a motor encoder seeking, and is nothing to be alarmed over.

JBusch260

Same machine, also "groans"... but it still works great, noises aside. Personally, I'll make note about the lubricate, but it doesn't seem to be sticking anywhere at all on mine.