• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC8000-160 won't cut accurately

Ashkeyana

Hi all! We purchased a Graphtec FC8000-160 about a month and a half ago and have had nothing but problems with it. We have figured out how to get it to read the registration marks on glossy media (FINALLY, and with much help from previous threads) but now when it cuts off the file, it's off about .25" on the x axis. I don't know what else to do. I've set everything back to the factory defaults, run every calibration test in the manual and it STILL won't cut properly.

HELP!!
http://www.signs101.com/forums/images/smilies/thank you.gif

If all cuts are off on the X-Axis by that amount, I would first verify that the knife is positioned in the rear position of the collar (position 1), and that your Condition Parameter (also position 1) is defined consistently with that knife placement.

WI

There's a tool setting under the conditions menu, and depending on what tool you've got the condition set to (for example, "PEN" vs "CB9U") it will assume that the knife is in one one collar or the other. Just for kicks, try putting the knife in the other collar and see what happens.

jasonx

Have you run the ARMS Test? Is it cutting the corners and the cross hair accurately?

If thats off every things going to be off. You can adjust the X axis is thats whats off.

omgsideburns

You've done the sensor/tool alignment where it draws the mark on the paper with the pen and then reads it?

What program are you cutting out of?
What type of crop marks are you using? Dimensions/offset of them?

Ashkeyana

@jasonx: yes, and it was off by the same amount...
@omgsideburns: I tried, but it would only draw the mark, not read it when it was done...
I'm cutting out of Illustrator cs5 using Cutting Master 2
Using Graphtec Type 2 Automatic Registration Marks, Margin: .59"; Thickness: .02"; Length: .59"

Ashkeyana

Ok, so I made the registration marks using the "Convert Rectangle" option so I could give a little more space between the design and the marks. I also set it to pre-feed the length of the print, increased the tension on the outer pinch rollers and set the mark detection speed to "slow". The test print/cut I just did came out nearly perfect...I'm now about to cut an actual customer's job...wish me luck!!

jasonx

Ok, so I made the registration marks using the "Convert Rectangle" option so I could give a little more space between the design and the marks. I also set it to pre-feed the length of the print, increased the tension on the outer pinch rollers and set the mark detection speed to "slow". The test print/cut I just did came out nearly perfect...I'm now about to cut an actual customer's job...wish me luck!!

If its still off there is a setting for the ARMS sensor offset adjustment. You can change that to bring it back in line.

omgsideburns

@omgsideburns: I tried, but it would only draw the mark, not read it when it was done...
I'm cutting out of Illustrator cs5 using Cutting Master 2
Using Graphtec Type 2 Automatic Registration Marks, Margin: .59"; Thickness: .02"; Length: .59"

It wouldn't read the mark? Was it scanning over the mark but just not reading it? You need to use a black pen tool and something like a sheet of card stock. If it's not reading the mark then that could be a problem. This is what sets the distance between the tool and sensor..

I'm not familiar with cutting from Illy w/ cutting master so I'm at a loss..

And make sure you've looked through this stuff...
http://www.graphtecamerica.com/FAQs/mark_scan_error.html

Ashkeyana

Ok, Here goes, the mark size in the plotter was different from the mark size we were printing. So, I set those to the same in both places. Also, I perform a prefeed before every cut. Finally (as gets mentioned a LOT when using glossy material) I put patches of matte laminate over the registration marks. (I know scotch tape would do the same, but we don't have any handy) So far, it works properly about 80% of the time, but still seems to randomly start cutting about .125" off on either the x or y axis (and sometimes both.)
I have to say, after reading this forum and through my own experiences, that I'm not super impressed with this plotter. Previous to this we had a Roland xc540 that cut and print on the same machine and NEVER had any of these issues...I miss it...

Bill Modzel

This may be obvious but at the bottom of the Cutting Master advanced panel there are X and Y offset boxes.
I had accidently clicked one of those once and it drove me nuts until I finally noticed there was a number besides 0 in the X box.

ON a more positive note. I've contour cut many thousands of small decals on my FC 7000-100 and it's amazingly accurate. I have run full 50 yard rolls of 32" long sheets of multiple decals on gloss stock without missing a beat.

omgsideburns

Yeah, as long as I don't dick up a setting on accident, and as long as the media is loaded straight, I usually don't have any problems on my fc7000mk2

blacknbart

My current issue with cutting on my FC8000

So I have been battling trying to figure how to keep this from happening. Please look over my two photos that I have attached. These were both from a very short runs and they both were off in the X direction. The Y direction looks dead on and is not a concern. Here is my equipment stats Onyx 10.1 rip, HP LP25500 Latex printer, FC8000-60 cutter ( Settings for this job are Condition: 3 Slot three .75+/- Mark size. I have tried doing Mark Scans as well Sensor readings and adjustments, but having been successful of ridding of this problem. Any pointers? I have also double check artwork and die line to make sure they were not skewed prior to printing.

Attachments

• fc8000offsetcut1.jpg
    fc8000offsetcut1.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 519
  • fc8000offsetcut2.jpg
    fc8000offsetcut2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 457

Supergirl

what do you use to cut?

when i cut from cutting master 2 (from illustrator) i have to adjust the offset by (in my case) 0.02 on the x axis and then it's perfect.
did you try that?

blacknbart

I use Onyx

I been using the Onyx RIP to create the Reg Marks as well run the FC8000. It's been on my radar as "Suspect". I have looked at the adjusting the offset and or Resolution on the FC8000 under the ARMS settings, but wasn't sure on how much to offset it.