• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec fc8000 question

BobCap

Do you guys contour cut roll magnet material with your FC8000? Which blade do you use?

We just picked up our new cutter and of course the sales guy said we could cut 10 to 30 mil magnet material. Although he wasn't sure if we needed a special blade.

I'm looking forward to using this cutter.

Thanks

Bob Cap
AAI
Gilbert, MN

tbaker

just my past experience with cutters leads me to believe that it's not possible. the metal platen will catch and hold the magnetic material.

I could be wrong tho.

CS-SignSupply

You can cut mag on the Graphtec 8000... I have applied transfer tape to the platen and metal body that contacts the mag, which allows it to slide just enough.

As for blade, you only need to score the top layer of the mag and it will dull your blades quickly. I would recommend budgeting 1 blade for every 20-30 6"x6" circular mags cut. Give or take.

As for blade, I prefer to use CB15u or CB15u-K30 blades. (requires red CB15 Blade Holder)

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
just my past experience with cutters leads me to believe that it's not possible. the metal platen will catch and hold the magnetic material.

I could be wrong tho.

And you would be. The platen and associated pieces are stainless and other non-ferrous alloys.

The problem with cutting magnetic sheeting on a plotter designed to cut vinyl isn't that the media wants to stick to various metal parts, it's the the machine was designed to cut vinyl. Moving and cutting magnetic sheeting puts strain on the mechanism that it wasn't designed to handle.

You can cut magnetic sheeting but all you're doing is getting away with it.