• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC8600-130 Review

Travis82

I just wanted to take a minute and post my thoughts hoping someone would read this and not make the same mistake I did. I operated a Mimaki plotter at my old job. I struck out on my own and when purchasing my equipment I focused more on the company I wanted to work with versus the brand they sold. I figured with plotters they have to be about the same right? Wrong. I purchased a Graphtec FC8600-130 and have had nothing but issues. First off it is not as user friendly as the Mimaki and it is inefficient from the software to the controls and even loading scrap material isn't as efficient. I have had it for a year and I am going rounds and rounds with tech support trying to figure out why the first cut and corners are so sloppy. Also when using crop marks the cuts are off. It varies sometimes it is only a 1/32" which isn't that big of deal but sometimes it is an 1/8" - 1/4". In short I will never buy a Graphtec again and I hope you don't either.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Yeah I would say Mimakis are definitely more user friendly and the CGFX series is gold but Graphtec is generally a good brand. Must be a bad one.

Travis82

I keep thinking I have a lemon because I don't know how they would still be in business unless users didn't have any other experience with any other brands. They have had techs out to look at it but I think they are going to make me load it up and take a day trip and haul it somewhere to have someone look at it. I am frustrated that I have to do that but if it fixes it, then it will be worth it. I still want to get a Mimaki as soon as possible though.

crny1

For what its worth, I have had our 8600 for a year now and have nothing but problems with the accuracy when using crop marks also. I cant cut more than 20" of material before it gets off track and cuts like ****.

ClevelandEast

I noticed with our 8000, the pressure rollers were not staying put. They would pop up to medium or light pressure causing the longer runs to shift leading to registration errors or significant cutting issues. But, just taping those down at max pressure has fixed so many of the daily frustrations I can't even believe it. A tech looked at it and just shrugged. I've also been told that these things work much better the more rollers you have, and we are trying to source a few more.

unclebun

My experience is much different. I used Graphtecs at my prior job, started with a Mimaki CG130FX when I started my own business 11 years ago, and added a Graphtec FC8000-75 to do regular vinyl work and cut our printed heat transfers. Both work fine and I have had no trouble with either. In our experience the Mimaki is the one that gets a little off on cuts longer than 3' of small decals, but it can still do gut graphics up to 8-10' acceptably. As far as getting plotters repaired/refurbished, my experience has been that it's cheaper to ship them off rather than pay a technician to come here.