• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC8600 - bump on the inside of ALL curves (pics)

TheBarricade

Ok, so this is a slightly different issue than I had with the white vinyl + laminate (another post). Basically on all curves, there is a clear cutting issue. It only happens on the inside of a curve, always in the direct center of the curve (see pictures).

I have, so far, factory reset the graphtec, cleaned the rollers, blade holder, and blade, checked the blade depth (via graphtec's method of manually cutting the material), and confirmed smoothness/evenness across the cutting strip.

This issue does not happen on one part of the cutting strip. It is specific to the letter; shows up in "O"s, "R"s, "P"s, "D"s, and others with that same curve. Does not show up in "S". Always on the inside of the curve, always halfway through the curve, and always on just one side (ex--does not show up on both sides of the "O").

Addt'l Info:
Graphtec FC 8600
Blade CB09UB (no offset) in brass holder (I have not tested the plastic holder)
Force: 11
Speed: 10-15
Accel: 4
Tangential: None

https://imgur.com/roZ2QJK
https://imgur.com/eA5Uh21
https://imgur.com/KnuiuOm

Note: Tried Offset settings. -2 is the closest I could get to fixing the problem. Unfortunately there bump is still there, it's just lesser. I've tried more or less offset from the -2 and it doesn't make it any better.

roZ2QJK

eA5Uh21

KnuiuOm

Last edited:

jimmmi

Check you offset. I see also the corners are not accurate. Experiment with increasing-decreasing offset until you find the perfect.

TheBarricade

Check you offset. I see also the corners are not accurate. Experiment with increasing-decreasing offset until you find the perfect.
Just tested offset and -2 is the closest I can get, but it's still not perfectly smooth. Is there anything else I can do or is that basically it?

jwlllpl

Is it all fonts files or just this file? Is this file converted to curves? Maybe check to make sure the nodes are joined and the corners do not have extra nodes. I have noticed on some files sent to us the nodes are excessive and many are not joined. This seems to happen in .ai files frequently.

TheBarricade

Is it all fonts files or just this file? Is this file converted to curves? Maybe check to make sure the nodes are joined and the corners do not have extra nodes. I have noticed on some files sent to us the nodes are excessive and many are not joined. This seems to happen in .ai files frequently.
It's actually the official US FHWA official typeface for all traffic signage. So I wouldn't think that would have any sort of issues....

jwlllpl

Ok...I just did a quick test on Highway Gothic converted to curves and found several separations. Hope this shows what I was saying. My way of fixing this is to convert to curves and then combine. It usually solves the issue.

Attachments

• Sample Highway Gothic.png
    Sample Highway Gothic.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 250

TheBarricade

Ok...I just did a quick test on Highway Gothic converted to curves and found several separations. Hope this shows what I was saying. My way of fixing this is to convert to curves and then combine. It usually solves the issue.
Thank you for testing this. I am currently using Flexi (but will be testing Cutting Master 4 just to see if that makes a difference). How do I convert to curves in Flexi?

jwlllpl

I usually do this in Illustrator or Coreldraw and only use Flexi to print/cut. I am sure you could look in the help area for how to do it in Flexi. Recommend using wireframe in any of these programs because it is easier to see the disconnected nodes.