• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FC8600 - Probable head unit damage?

whatsinaname

We got a FC8600-60 recently that came with a damaged pinch roller. The pinch roller got replaced but today when we tried to cross cut (Setting - Roll 1 Rear), strangely enough the head unit plunged the cutting blade holder down on the teflon cutting matt and tried the cross cut procedure whereas the cross cut blade didn't act at all.

The head unit screeched on the cutting mat in high speed and damaged it. I tried cutting it again but I am getting very rough corners and edges now. I suspect the head unit would have also got damaged.

I opened the head carriage cover and checked all the screws were tight. What else should I check and fix to correct this issue?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most likely the blade tip broke off when it it the cut strip. That would cause the corners to not look so good. Also, if there is a groove in the cut strip now, that will cause some of your cuts to have a perforated effect because the blade is bouncing around rather than cutting smoothly.

woolly

If the cross cutter mechanism is the same as early ones as the head goes to the far left the silver bar that sticks out acts against a pad in side the head unit. If the pad is not fully pressed then it's not tripped over to the cross cutter so the solenoid acts on the vinyl cutting part not the cross cutter.

The poor cutting after is as said probably the cutting strip and blade tip missing.

whatsinaname

Most likely the blade tip broke off when it it the cut strip. That would cause the corners to not look so good. Also, if there is a groove in the cut strip now, that will cause some of your cuts to have a perforated effect because the blade is bouncing around rather than cutting smoothly.

I can get the cutting mat and holder changed but what I am worried about is the head unit. Is there any chance of it being damaged? Is there any spring mechanism inside the carriage holding the blade unit that needs a look into?

woolly

strangely enough the head unit plunged the cutting blade holder down on the teflon cutting matt and tried the cross cut procedure whereas the cross cut blade didn't act at all.
Is there any spring mechanism inside the carriage holding the blade unit that needs a look into? .

so i said

If the pad is not fully pressed then it's not tripped over to the cross cutter so the solenoid acts on the vinyl cutting part not the cross cutter.

this happened to my fc7000, the same selonoid opperates the vinyl blade as well as the cross cutter as the head goes all the way over to the left the silver bar sticking out of the side frame trips the mech over to cross cutter if it misses or not gone quite far enough then the selonoid slames the vinyl cutter in to the cutting strip not the cross cutter.

if its brand new and its done it once it will probably do it again. so a graphtec tech should come and look at it. imo
i have been looking at adverts to see if the mech is still the same looks like it.

whatsinaname

Will replace the blade and try some test cuts and see if the head returns to normalcy after some cutting.

Just wondering if there is a QUALITY setting in FC8600 like we have in FC7000 series where I can just set it to 1 and see if the circles meet?