• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec FCS 5100 150 Contour Cutting Issues

Romney

Hello Signs 101 Community!

My name is Romney and I work at a sign shop / screen printing business called Majik Graphics Inc. in Clinton Township Michigan.

We have had a HP Design Jet L25500 for about a year now and have not been able to figure out how to sync our printing jobs using FLEXI 12 / Production Manager to our wonderful Graphtec FCS 5100 150.

As it stands today, we print and hand cut everything that comes off of the HP Design Jet. We have a Edge FX for our small decals but anything beyond 11.8 inches tall is a hand cutting mess. We want to use the Contour cutting features but have not been able to figure out how to successfully cut contours with any degree of accuracy. Many inches off and not to scale.

My question revolves around the strange behavior of our Graphtec or perhaps my own mistakes in production. I having been researching questions and answers and have looked over the graphtec manual extensively but have come out with poor results.

Here is my job output in Flexi 12. I'll create text that says Majik Graphics. It will be 14.50'' wide by 3.00'' tall. I will grab everything and select contour cut. It will have a offset of .150. I selected this (Green Check Mark)

I grab everything again and send the job to RIP AND PRINT.
I WILL have the contour knife blade option.
I set the registration Mark type to 1 and verify that it is also on the graphtec to accept the same format. (HP-GL Command- That one screwed me up when I was learning this)
I Print the job only - Bam everything is amazing the marks are mark length .8 thickness .020 Margin .2 total size 1 inch- Awesome!
I set the Job on the plotter, I have tired using automatic registration marks. I have had it detect them without error. I use the 3 point method.
I'll notice that the size is quite a bit off from what was printed to what it says it is detecting. I punch in the size, if it was detected at 13.53 I make it what it should have been, 14.50" or whatever it says it needs to be. Same thing for the width, it might be off a half inch.. Odd.
I'll also try putting in the axis points myself with the same results.
I go to the computer and send the job to cut... it says move knife to 1st reg. mark. it is there- send-
It will send some disgustingly over sized version.
I started using the laser method- condition 4, to see if it was on track so I stopped wasting so much material.
Everything is wayyy off. I was looking at our steps/inch resolution on the flexi plotter properties side... I don't want to make adjustments that will carry over into our regular vinyl cutting work.

I feel that I might be missing a step or overlooking something.

I will quickly respond to any questions that are needed to help answer this question that I am asking.

Thank you for any insight and help you can provide.

Romney---

Romney

After playing around with the Flexi 12 Software and Graphtec Hardware I'm starting to see that the overall size of the job is out of proportion. I'm not off by an inch on the X , Y axis, I'm oversized.

I think someone in the past might have adjusted a setting on accident or perhaps I punched in some crazy number for some reason.
attachment.php

Here is a little photo. My resolution is set to 1256. Is that the standard?

I'm kind of losing my mind on why I can't figure this one out. I feel like I'm missing one very simple step or overlooking an option.

It would be nice to upgrade plotters but that is not in the cards right now. Not sure if the plotter is the issue.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I understand that I'm using a plotter that is 15 years old so the chances that someone on this form is running a fcs 5100 -150 Graphtec are slim.

Attachments

• resolution.PNG
    resolution.PNG
    13.6 KB · Views: 227

amulle

I haven't used this plotter for many years, but it used to be my daily plotter. Let me just say that I was NEVER able to get the automatic registration mark sensor (ARMS) to work properly using Flexi 7 way back when. It would always cut skewed or off somehow. The only way I was able to contour cut properly was using the crosshair registration mark 4 point system and NOT using the Graphtec "L" system. Pretty much Flexi would print the registration marks, then when you go to cut, you would move the cutter head manually to each mark using either a loupe or a pen to see if you were centered.

I haven't done this in a long time and no longer have the equipment, but I hope that helps.

-Alfred

Romney

Thanks!

Thanks for the Advice. I'm going to try this other method and see if it shows any results. Even if it gives me a different kind of screw up, anything is better than crazy scale letter garbage.

One thing that is confusing me is that I can add contour lines to the decal I want to print and cut... and then I can also add registration marks on Flexi's side... So I end up with registration marks in the print and registration marks outside of the print... So I have double registration marks. I think it is similar in some ways to the picture below.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Does_b94cd3_1399111.jpg
    Does_b94cd3_1399111.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 209

Romney

Update: Thanks to another thread asking a similar question I was able to contour cut for the first time using the 4 point method and manual laser alignment. It might be slower than automatically scanning for the reg. marks but it is the only thing that has worked!