• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec jx1060 need info about pinch rollers and drivers

Bruce Fried

Hello All,
I just picked up a Graphtec jx1060. I know the printing system is not worth attempting to revive, as this machine sat for a very long time with/without ink. Based on other posts I found about this machine it seems this machine cuts and cuts and cuts but as a printer it printed mehh at best.
So I would like to use it as a cutter only. Mostly for small graphics 12inx12in in size. So far I think I am doing good, cause I only have $10 invested. (Yes, ten dollars at auction. With stand and a bunch of partial rolls of various vinyl) :)

I got it home and without the blade in it I powered it up and it POSTed fine. It seems to be working. I say "seems" because it is missing the right pinch roller (just the wheel part). So I cannot run a real test til I get another roller. With some assist from me on the right side the cutter did load a scrap piece of vinyl and seemed to be ready to go.

From searching the forum I know that is is similar to other branded cutters made during the same time that this dino was made. (Novacut etc.) However I cannot find the info I need about the pinch roller and drivers.

As best as I can measure with a HF caliper, my pinch roller has an axle size of 3.96mm, a width of 10.56mm, and a roller diameter of 15.06mm

Is this the same for all Graphtecs? ie FC CE models. I've seen these listed between $23-$33 but they don't give any specs of the roller's size.

I did find on ebay generic pinch roller listed as 4mm x 11mm x 16mm for $10 and I am wondering if this will work. Seems that the worst would be a bit more down pressure because of the extra 1mm in roller diameter. Physically, it seems that there is enough clearance for the 16mm roller. And of course I'd replace both rollers. Given the age of this machine I don't think the cost of factory parts are warranted as something else will most likely die before I wear out a new set of rollers.
($10 roller will double my investment :omg2:)

Also I cannot find the driver or software specific to the jx1060. Its no longer on the graphtec web.
Will the more current drivers and software for the FC & CE models have the basic functions to work with my machine?

If anybody still has this machine I'd appreciate some guidance on the roller size and driver/software to drive this dino. Anybody still running one? do tell.

I have Corel x5 but also have versions 8 thru 12 if I need to go retro to work with this machine. If anybody can send me (or point me to) the driver software it would be great!

Thanks!
Bruce
Corel 8 thru x5
Versalaser 660 60watt laser
Gravograph M30g rotary engraver
#2 pencil
and a hammer.

Bruce Fried

Thanks for the link Tim, but I was already there and neither the software drivers or the specifications for the pinch rollers are available at the site. The lack of finding anything at the Graphtec site about the jx1060 is what led me to come here to ask.

If one goes to the Discontinued/Legacy Cutter Plotters download section for drivers, there aren't any JX series drivers listed. So this did not help with finding the driver.

I don't know if I need it, but I did see the download for Cut Master 2. However the download page has a circular link reference that doesn't actually take you to a download page to get the software. Do I need this software too?

And of course there is no information about the JX series machines on the site let alone the pinch roller specific for the JX1060. Nor is there any technical information about the pinch rollers specification on the FC or CE series that would give me a clue as to if the rollers are the same or not.

Anybody with a jx1060 (or equivalent) that can confirm if the rollers are still the same as the new FC / CE? And a download for the software driver? And do I need the Cut Master 2 software also?

woolly

i have a jx1160 still running as a cutter beautifully.
i will find some old rollers and compare to the FC i think they are the same. i presume the pins are missing as well,

i can't find the driver either so will have a look for the last download OPS??? it will only work on XP i think.

Bruce Fried

Thanks Woolly. Your effort is appreciated.
I am running this on Windows XP. So I could use that driver.
If you could upload it with a link or email to me (Brucef2112 AT Another Off Left DOT Cat On Mouse) it would be great!

One axle pin is missing but that's EZ and cheap to make from a short piece of drill rod.

I'll stand by and see what ya find on the roller.
thanks,

woolly

bit worrying can't find it, I didn't give it a quick try with the fc7000 driver seamed to work. must be in graphtec language not hpgl.
wheels are the same as my fc7000 and the roland. so if you have found some standard ones should be ok.

Bruce Fried

Well, I guess by the weak response from owners, Woolly and I have the last two remaining jx1060 cutters. :smile:

Any way, I wanted to post my results just in case it can help someone.

The Documentation:
There is nothing to be found for the Graphtec JX1060. However I did find a PDF document at the Kodak website for a ENCAD Novacut 24 that is 99% relevant to the JX1060. Thanked God for it. It allowed me to setup and test the cutter without a bunch of guessing at the cutter's cryptic control panel. The Document is here: http://www.wideformat.kodak.com/Support/Files/User-Guides/novacut/cutman_ug_en.pdf

The Hardware:
The 16mm rollers I got on ebay work just fine. The axle hole was a bit larger (i think .009 over) but given downward pressure it should be OK and there was plenty of clearance for the extra 1mm over sized outside diameter. Given the machines age I'm sure something else will fail before these rollers do.

To replace the one missing pinch roller's axle I cut the shank off an appropriate sized drill bit. A little time with a dremel cutting wheel and it was ready to roll.

The generic CB09 blade holder from ebay was a perfect fit. Plug N Play. Yeah!

The Software/Drivers:
Uuggg! This was the frustrating part. However I did get an install of the CE-5000 software to finally work. Part of the problem was that all the new driver installation software didn't have the Parallel Port option listed any more.

I was installing this on an XP computer.
I downloaded and installed so many variations so I'm not sure what exactly finally worked but I think it was this; I installed an older version of the CE-5000 software first. I think is was for Windows95/98. And during the install chose "FILE" as the output port. After the install I then manually went into the properties for the device and changed it from "FILE" to "LPT1". I was then able to update the drivers with the latest version listed for the CE-5000 for Windows XP and all was well.
Drivers I used are here.http://www.graphteccorp.com/support/software/cuttingplotters.html

I did some test cuts including some 18pt text and it cut perfect! What a beautiful machine.

Now that I know this thing is working I will get some quality blades and I'm sure I'll have lots of cut time left in this machine. I think it was put to pasture because the printing system is what failed. It looked like it was dismantled and put in the backroom years ago. So the actual run time on the cutter is relatively low given its age.

Here's the source for the parts. I am not endorsing. I'm just providing my source and positive experience. I have no idea who they are. But I did order and the parts arrived from China in about 14 days delivery.

Both sellers had thousands of positive feedback at the time I purchased.
Pinch rollers-2 rollers $19 delivered (ebay seller cnlisaliu 99.8% Pos. Feedback).
Blade Holder w/3 blades $25 delivered- (ebay seller win-win-mechatronic 100% Pos. Feedback).
Way cheaper than Graphtec and somewhat cheaper than 3rd parties in the USA.

So my adventure has a positive outcome!
$10 for the JX1060 machine
$19 for 2 pinch rollers
$25 for blade holder and 3 blades.

Being able to now cut vinyl.. priceless!

Thanks again to Woolly and CiberSupply-TT for their input!

HillBilly Graffix

I guess i'm a little late on this post but I wanted to tell you I have the driver on a Flexi 5 CD if you ever need it.
I bought my graphtec and this software 12 years ago and have used it daily ever since. It has never had any problems.
I have never used the print, one of the ribbons where the cartridge snaps in has a burnt spot on it and I was told even back then it wasn't worth fixin. It has been a great cutter and has got to have a million miles on it !
I never could find a user guide for it, so I was glad to see you found the NovaCut instruction were the same. I learned some stuff already from that.

Tel

Just read this, I have used a jx1060 for the past 12 years, as a printer well I think you was being kind to it, in todays standards it wouldn't have a look in and at it's best was nothing but trouble.
We had it from new and used to run it on a server originally, I have the user instruction manual for it but to be perfectly honest theres nothing you wouldn't already know in them.
We drained off the ink I removed the ink tanks and the pipes and about 8 years ago maybe more and have used it as a cutter ever since, the blade holder and the pinch rollers seem to be the same as the ones on our older CE1000-60 and our much newer CE5000-120. As for drivers after we got rid of the server I used a driver I downloaded from the graphtec site but since using it as a cutter on Flexi-sign7 which doesn't list it in it's hybrid machines I found that I could use it by listing it as a FC3100-60 in the cutter section and it has cut everyday ever since and has really put out a lot of work, the only drawback with using it in flexi as a FC3100-60 is I can only use roll2 and the advance after cut doesn't work otherwise no problems at all. It is reliable and a workhorse and apart for blades the only other thing I have fitted to ours is a couple of cutting mats.
I am green with envy you are so lucky I wish I could pick one up for $10 or a bit more lol.
Enjoy it you got an absolute bargain and it must have paid for itself 20 times over in the first week.
regards
Tel

woolly

thanks for the up date

i can't work out how old mine is between 12 15 years after it was 2 year old i got so desperate with the printing i, pulled my card out of my pocket and bought a epson.
since then the graphtec has only cut vinyl.
3 cutting strips, new ebay blade every 6 months and a one set of rollers, it cuts about a vans worth of vinyl every day. touch wood