• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec new USB cord not recognized

bold_will_hold

Running an old Graphtec FC5100
It is my bread and butter. I recently saw the usb cord breaking down.
There was a cover I took off the cable and there is a small chip in there
the wire broke from the solder point. I think the chip is to extend the signal. IDK

I looked up the serial number and ordered another cable.
It is not identical but say it is the same
Active usb 2.0 A to B

I ghetto fixed the old wire in the mean time.
When I plug the new cable right after the old cable windows will recognize the plotter.
When I wait alittle and power down then try to power the plotter back on it wont recognize it
no matter what I try in windows.

If it plug the old wire in a few times I can get it to sync back up with windows.

It is so odd that the cable will work but then wont.
Why does the plotter love this old cable so much?!
Am I doing something wrong I need a replacement USB cable for this thing.

Windows 7 USB 3.0 and 2.0 all set to legacy.
would it be worth try a parallel to usb cable instead?
Would I still be able to read the material size from flexi using parallel?

Last edited:

Jburns

strange -- my experience, USB devices need a driver, but that is on the computer side for the device. You can try the Serial - to Serial on your computer- should not require driver, but will take a little setup on the computer side to match communication settings.
Even if you get a USB on plotter side to Serial on computer side, that would probably take some setup.

edit: maybe check your Device manager- USB ports and see if the same port number is being used for new cable. You may have to assign a new port in device manager- under your FC5100 - like a printer - but I am guessing.