• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec Newbie Questions (2)

New Guy

I have a really basic question and I already feel stupid for asking, but I'm swallowing the little pride I do have an asking this question.

We have a new FC7000MK2.

1) Can someone explain the way it measures the media width. Clearly it's not reading the width of the material? When I put a piece of 15" wide material in, it'll come back telling me it's measured it to be 12.5". We had a cheaper cutter and I was told that it measured off of the feed rollers, so I thought the Graphtec would work differently. I can't find anything in the manual on how it works.

Normally it's not a problem, but I just had someone print some product they want cut, and they printed the registration marks within 1" of each edge. So I'm afraid it's not going to pick up the marks.

2) On this particular product, they printed their idea of a registration mark, which doesn't appear in any of the Graphtec standards. Is there a way for me to pick those up? I have the file for it, with the marks.

Thanks for your time and knowledge-

Sign_Boy

It will measure from the pinch rollers. Side to side.
What Production Manager are you using?
You should be able to manually set the media width within that.

Why do you need registration marks?
Oh it's plotting not printing.

Service Sign Co

I wouldn't mind knowing that. I have heard that a usb connection would require one to apply the user defined size option in the production manager and a serial connection would show the correct polling size, but I dont have a spare serial port to test that

Sign_Boy

I wouldn't mind knowing that. I have heard that a usb connection would require one to apply the user defined size option in the production manager and a serial connection would show the correct polling size, but I dont have a spare serial port to test that

Once in a while it mine will pick up the right polling size and I'm set up with USB.
Truthfully I don't mind manually entering the media size.

New Guy

I'm using Cutting Master 2. Yes, you can manually enter the size, but I'm unsure what the effect is when you have the plotter reading 12.5 as the width and you send a 14" wide job over. I think it won't cut it. It'll see that the graphic can't fit on the media, and it'll stop short at the 12.5 mark when it's actually cutting. That's the way our last machine was.

Yes, it's a preprinted piece of media I have that a customer wants their items perf cut out of.

Sign_Boy

This may sound dumb but is this material punched or unpunched.
If it's punched are your rollers on the inside of the punched area?
If so that's probably where you are loosing the media width.