• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec plotter cutting bad, almost like the resolution is off.

Pat Whatley

Our Graphtec FC-8600 plotter has started acting weird. Cutting lettering around 1", which has never been a problem, has started giving us bad results. It's almost like there are plotted points being skipped. The type of vinyl or the condition choice doesn't matter. Also, no matter what we do I can't get the offset correct. The pictures should show it better. The cutting head isn't loose, the belt is tight, and there's no wobble in the blade holders.

What we've tried:
•moving the cut to opposite end of the plotter so that if there was damage to the cutting strip the cut would avoid it.
•Replacing the blade
•Replacing the blade holder
•Changing down force, speed, offset

Graphtec support is working on it but we're not getting anywhere. We've got a new cutting strip coming in but I'm hoping someone else has had this problem and might have a solution. I've got work backing up waiting on simple little vinyl pieces to finish.

Attachments

• IMG_20180403_142016.jpg
    IMG_20180403_142016.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 633
  • IMG_20180330_092305.jpg
    IMG_20180330_092305.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 586
  • IMG_20180330_092308.jpg
    IMG_20180330_092308.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 479
  • IMG_20180330_092321.jpg
    IMG_20180330_092321.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 543

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This won't help you, but I've seen people ask... what that font is on here. If you wanted to have that effect, ya couldn't do it.

Pat Whatley

This won't help you, but I've seen people ask... what that font is on here. If you wanted to have that effect, ya couldn't do it.
The font is two different weights of Quadon. I whined buying it for a job but the family has become a workhorse for me.

I think we've found the problem. There is the slightest amount of movement in the cutting head. I didn't think it was abnormal and from my description the Graphtec tech didn't think it was either. If I do something brilliant like holding the moving cutting head firmly against the rail while it's doing its job the thing cuts beautifully.

spooledUP7

What does your test plot look like? If it is wobbly like your job then it's a graptec problem, but if it's perfect then there's something with your job file.

It looks like pen mode with a knife in the holder or an excessive offset.

If the plotter test mark is straight then check your setup setting in your software and make sure it isn't sending any macros to override the plotter presets.
If the plotter test mark is wobbly then do the following:
  • Check the holder screws to the servo mount. Often times they can be loose and the blade holder will wiggle.
  • Check the carriage guide wheels. They should have minimal gaps to the rail.
  • Check for loose screws everywhere.
  • Reset your plotter to default: Be sure to take note of all critical settings. Best to screen shot all menus before performing the reset.

Gkgrafx

You can always factory reset. Hold left arrow and enter butter at the same time while you turn the machine off and on. Only problem is you would have to remember your condition settings. i am currently having an issue with it not cutting in the center of circle decals and it is frustrating...

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
The font is two different weights of Quadon. I whined buying it for a job but the family has become a workhorse for me.

I think we've found the problem. There is the slightest amount of movement in the cutting head. I didn't think it was abnormal and from my description the Graphtec tech didn't think it was either. If I do something brilliant like holding the moving cutting head firmly against the rail while it's doing its job the thing cuts beautifully.
Ours had the same problem a few years ago....wobbling and bad cutting. I had to take the carriage apart and tighten the screws holding the bearing wheels to the track. It's a pain in the butt but it fixed the problem.

Pat Whatley

PROBLEM SOLVED: Figured I'd post this in case someone looks for an answer later. We ended up taking off the head cover and the cap over the carriage rail to give us access to the roller wheels on top of the head. Loosen those, hold the head up, tighten the screws back....problem solved. Took two days to figure out what the problem was and how to fix it....the actual repair took five minutes.

depps74

Can you post a picture of what your talking about. I've had this problem before and it was usually solved by replacing the blade holder or cutting strip.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check the pulley that the motor drives to move the carriage back and forth. Older Graphtecs had pulleys that would break over time and cause a similar issue. Maybe that's the case on the new ones as well.

CL Visual

Thanks for posting. I recently got an FC-8600 and still trying to learn. there seems to be a lot of little quirks with the machine. For example, all of a sudden, it just started sheet cutting after it was done plotting. No idea why or how to stop that.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Thanks for posting. I recently got an FC-8600 and still trying to learn. there seems to be a lot of little quirks with the machine. For example, all of a sudden, it just started sheet cutting after it was done plotting. No idea why or how to stop that.

What software are you using to cut? CuttingMaster has a check box to cut after print which may be enabled.

Pat Whatley

Can you post a picture of what your talking about. I've had this problem before and it was usually solved by replacing the blade holder or cutting strip.
Pictures are in the first post I made, the solution is in the next post I made.