• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtec plotter making clackity clackity sounds

gabagoo

I have a Graphtec FC4100-130 54" plotter and it is a workhorse. It has to be 15 years old at least. It started last week making this clackity sound running on the y axis. Quiet when running the x axis. I can hear that it is coming from under the cover and not the head unit. Cuts perfect still, just noisy as hell. Any ideas what it might be?

ams

Servos maybe? But from my research it appears lots of people have that issue and they ignore it and it doesn't change anything. Apparently Graphtec says it's a common problem.

DoubleDiamond

Ours did this so we cleaned the track/rails and bearings. We took the covers off and scraped off gunk, then used alcohol and wiped some oil on the rails and dropped a bit on the bearings. Ran like new again.

d fleming

Yep, take off cover and do some maintenance. 15 years good service never having the cover off is outstanding.

gabagoo

Just an update...still cuts great but the noise is super loud now. I tried opening the cover but once open there are still the connections to the controls on top that don't give you a lot of room to move around with fear of breaking the lines. Going to try again and see if I can isolate just where it is coming from. Can I spray lubricant in there or just clean and if so clean with what? methyl hydrate?

gabagoo

Yesterday it was really loud and then suddenly it just stopped with a y axis error. I could feel the head getting stuck by just moving it with the power off. Not getting stuck in one particular spot but random spots. I opened both ends up and it was very clean inside. I manually moved the y motor and it seemed fine. It is really hard to try and detect just where the sound is coming from but I think it has to be the rails. They seem very clean and I can feel nothing on them. I had no silicone lubricant and I just figured wd40 will work although a bit messy. I cleaned up everything and turned it back on...Still makes the noise but quieter and it is running again and not getting stuck. I still can't figure out just what is going on and what the lubricant did exactly.

I did call Graphtec America to ask about parts, but they don't have any for my plotter.

Today I go out and get some silicone spray and try again.

kanini

Had similar sound the other day on our Summa, although not so loud and worked fine it was gunk built up on one of the rails on which the carriage wheel/bearing runs. So it was if you were driving a car 80 mph on a gravel road. Cleaned the gunk off but had to re-do several times until all "unevenness" and goo was off. Maybe the WD-40 got some goo off on some spot but there's still some left somewhere you didn't see?

d fleming

WD 40 should clean up rails ok but I would certainly use a better lube, possibly white lithium on rails after a good clean.

WildWestDesigns

WD 40 should clean up rails ok but I would certainly use a better lube, possibly white lithium on rails after a good clean.

Second this. What I use on my cutters and on my embroidery machines. I wouldn't necessarily do plain jane WD 40 (WD-40 also has white lithium) as the only spray used.