Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphtec plotter making clackity clackity sounds

Discussion in 'Graphtec' started by gabagoo, Oct 5, 2017.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have a Graphtec FC4100-130 54" plotter and it is a workhorse. It has to be 15 years old at least. It started last week making this clackity sound running on the y axis. Quiet when running the x axis. I can hear that it is coming from under the cover and not the head unit. Cuts perfect still, just noisy as hell. Any ideas what it might be?

Tags:
  2. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Servos maybe? But from my research it appears lots of people have that issue and they ignore it and it doesn't change anything. Apparently Graphtec says it's a common problem.

3. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thanks

4. DoubleDiamond

DoubleDiamond Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Texas
    Ours did this so we cleaned the track/rails and bearings. We took the covers off and scraped off gunk, then used alcohol and wiped some oil on the rails and dropped a bit on the bearings. Ran like new again.

5. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Yep, take off cover and do some maintenance. 15 years good service never having the cover off is outstanding.

• Agree Agree x 1