• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Graphtech Error Code

Ditchmiester

Today I got the following error when trying to scan cut out decals from my new HP L26500.

I tried putting scotch tape over the marks and tried putting darker marks on it. Any idea what i'm doing wrong. I'm using Onyx 10.2 and have followed the settings from onyx's website for the graphtec FC-8000.

Attachments

• graphtec error.jpeg
    graphtec error.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,145

signs+banners

Check the position of your registration marks. Measure to make sure they are in the right place on the print. This is where I would start. That is based on the error code on the cutter. I am not to familliar with Onyx.

Hope this helps, I am sure someone here can answer it spot on.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
It is saying you don't have enough media in the length direction for it to find the marks. How much media do you have in front and behind the marks?

MikeD

If your graphtec is a flatbed, is your print layout larger than the cutting area of the flatbed? Do the dimensions of your marks match on both the digital file and the actual print? Did the media feed through the printer straight (are the side margins constant?) If those three variables are o.k., I would next check to see if the media is loaded on the plotter squarely. The carriage (or media if this is a roll-to-roll plotter) will move in a straight line. If the marks aren't parallel to the x motion of the plotter, the carriage may travel past the mark and give you a similar error.
Good Luck!

MikeD

Also, if this is a roll-to-roll and the pinch wheel/grit roller is dirty, or the wheels are set to different pressure, the media may be skewing

Ditchmiester

Thanks for the info guys. So Today I was able get the marks read manually from the Graphtec. Now my issue is that my cut file get sent to the cutter and when it cuts out the parts they are scaled up by a factor of 4 so my original file was a rectangle that was 4 x 7 and when it cut them out it cut one giant one that is 16 x 28. Is there a scale factor that i should be aware of? My parts are printed the correct size.

MikeD

You should be able to scale "cut-only" jobs, but if it is a print & cut job it should be 100%.
Make sure the step size in your plotter driver (Cutting Master?) is the same as your plotter.

Ditchmiester

I'm printing on .010 Polycarbonate and using the cut server in onyx to send the files to the graphtec. Is there a better way to go about this?

Ditchmiester

Okay I was able to get the parts to cut right. I had to go into the graphtec and change the scale to 1/4 from 1 and it worked. I don't know why I need to change the scale but it is a work around for now until I have more time to figure it out.:thankyou:

Matt-Tastic

your "step size" on either the software or plotter was most likely the culprit. The Step Size on the plotter is found in the I/F menu, and is on the last tab if you're using the CM2 plugin. other systems either have the value set (i.e. ONYX uses 1016 by default), or there is a setting menu for it (like in signlab)

The Step Size on the plotter and in your software have to be the same, otherwise your cut will be scaled larger or smaller, depending on your setting. most likely, your plotter had it set low, and your software has it higher, so your file came over at 4x the actual size.

Ditchmiester

Is setting the step size different than changing the scale factor? Also is it possible to print from onyx and use cut master to send the printed cut file to the plotter. I'm having a hard time getting onyx cut sever to automatically read the registration marks.

Ditchmiester

your "step size" on either the software or plotter was most likely the culprit. The Step Size on the plotter is found in the I/F menu, and is on the last tab if you're using the CM2 plugin. other systems either have the value set (i.e. ONYX uses 1016 by default), or there is a setting menu for it (like in signlab)

The Step Size on the plotter and in your software have to be the same, otherwise your cut will be scaled larger or smaller, depending on your setting. most likely, your plotter had it set low, and your software has it higher, so your file came over at 4x the actual size.

Excellent that worked perfect. I got my step size set the same everywhere now. My other question is: Do you know why I would be able to do the manual registration mark reading on the graphtec but not the Automatic one on the graphtec or from onyx?