• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Green Basement Banners Business

FatCat

I see most here believe this would be an impossible task? Are most of you business owners or some former business owners? I have been to 3 sign shops over the last few weeks and all have been very helpful and encouraging in my quest to start up a Banner business, I have seen some of the work that I would be doing and it's not that difficult. The work I have seen In this area as far as banners go is pretty crappy(lose stitching, cheap material, low res graphics) to say the least. I am not looking to blow up over night, I just want to start slow on my own terms and grow the business into something bigger. I have seen enough in my prepress management position to know there is money to be made out here and I have the contacts willing to help. " Green " is selling and printers are marketing this to certain client to satisfy their needs.

I have 14+ years experience primarily as a prepress tech and part-time graphic designer. Started my sign company on the side and decided to go full time last year when I lost my job in the offset printing world. So I imagine our situations might have some similarities.

First, nothing is impossible - but you do have some homework to do. As others have said, I have little faith in this "green" movement. It's a nice thought, but due to the current economy far too many business and organizations are more worried about survival than their impact on mother nature. Unless there will be requirements set down by govt. to make them purchase "green" it will be hard for them to justify paying twice as much for a banner just because it is "green". Maybe you know something I/we don't?

Also, $50k startup for a startup side business seems like a very large investment for primarily doing banners. Then factor in the part-time thing and it makes me wonder how you will be able to produce enough banners and charge enough to pay back on the printer itself? Are you planning on having secured contracts before you make this purchase? Maybe a better scenario would be to partner with a wholesaler that already has a "green" printer? This way you're only paying for product when you need it.

Again, lots of things to consider here. As a former prepress tech I am more than proficient in the major Adobe apps, have excellent understanding of color theory and most forms of printing. However, there is more to owning a sign or any business than just having the equipment to produce work.

Good luck to you in whatever you decide.

speedmedia

I would certainly do it! Jump on in! I make millions of dollars a year printing banners and surely several million more next year! I have a giant hole in my back yard where I place the money every week! It is awesome and super easy, all you have to do is press a button.

Thanks,
Kurt

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It is awesome and super easy, all you have to do is press a button.

You work way too hard. I trained my dog to push the button for me, collect the cash, and then put it in the hole in the back yard. He can't answer the telephone as of yet, but when he learns, I'm moving to the Bahama's and letting him take over.

JB

Billct2

3 local sign shops encouraged you to start a banner business out of your house?! Do they want to sub to you, or are they already doing banners?

Banners are probably the least profitable most competitive part of the sign business....well maybe 18x24 coro signs is worse.

Fatboy

If this is what you want to do then go for it. Experience helps but then this is not rocketr science either! Make sure you have a good designer to fall back on. Design is the hardest thing to get right ans I find it much easier to sub out my design

gnemmas

"Banners are probably the least profitable most competitive part of the sign business"

Heh?

I constantly got request to quote 100 - 500 banners internationally. seems easy money.

For government job? Let's see: business license, proof of revenue for the past 5 years, business insurance, worker's comp, Certified Disabled minority/women/disadvantaged Iraq veteran, I am ready to roll!

MachServTech

"Banners are probably the least profitable most competitive part of the sign business"

Heh?

I constantly got request to quote 100 - 500 banners internationally. seems easy money.

For government job? Let's see: business license, proof of revenue for the past 5 years, business insurance, worker's comp, Certified Disabled minority/women/disadvantaged Iraq veteran, I am ready to roll!

Meh, your dog is slow. I post to this forum regularly as my master is in the British Virgin Islands. BTW my grammar is better than his anyway...and so is my math.

TTL Squirrel!