Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greenhorn Here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ken Roberts, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Ken Roberts

Ken Roberts New Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Hi all,

I've recently jumped into the sign business not by intent but rather by opportunity stemming from my current business. I am a photographer and have a studio where I like to offer my clients items such as photo decals, auto tags, shirts, etc. I had been using the sign guy in the next town for these small projects, but he wasn't timely enough in his turnaround since he had much larger jobs to complete. I have always sent him business in years past since the only sign man here is an artist who paints signs by hand so the market is wide open. I purchased a PrismJet (Mutoh) 38" printer and a Vinyl Express Q100 to fulfill my photographic needs and soon learned this equipment was capable of so much more. So now I'm entering the sign business. I've been spending much time with tech support over at Sign Warehouse about various issues. I didn't have the ink heaters on at first so the ink was pooling up on my media. I'm having two problems with my cutter. One is a weeding problem since there are small snags due to incomplete cuts causing major headaches when weeding. The other problem is getting the cutter to recognize the registration marks on the media for contour cuts. I keep getting a read port error. So I'm still working on these issues.

Anyway, I'm grateful to have found this forum where a wealth of knowledge seems to reside.

Ken Roberts
    Waynesboro, Ms.
    www.robertstown.net

Tags:
  2. TC49010

TC49010 Active Member

Jan 19, 2005
    :Welcome:

3. Pro Image

Pro Image Major Contributor

Nov 28, 2005
    Howdee from VA..............

4. ENTDesign

ENTDesign Very Active Member

May 12, 2005
    Welcome

5. gvgraphics

gvgraphics Very Active Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Welcome from PA

6. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    Welcome Aboard!

7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Welcome from PA.

8. Sign Prophet

Sign Prophet Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Welcome from Long Beach, California

9. masterdesigns

masterdesigns Member

Nov 18, 2006
    Welcome

Bob

10. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    Welcome to THE BIG SHOW !

11. SBowlerDesign

SBowlerDesign Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Welcome, Ken!

12. mladams7259

mladams7259 Very Active Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Welcome Aboard!

13. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Welcome from Oklahoma!

The banner at the bottom of this page that says printingdigital.net will take you to the printing forum. A real nice site for getting printing tips and information. You might find your questions already answered in one of these forums.

Guud Luck!

14. TrustedImages

TrustedImages Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Adjusting the downforce or slowing the cutter down just a little should help with the weeding troubles. Read port error sounds like you don't have the correct port selected in the set up. But I'm not 100% sure. I'm not in tech and I don't have a printer so I can't tell you for sure on that. But the downforce and slowing down works for me on the weeding troubles.