• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greenish stripe in yellow on JV33-130

jschulze

Hi,

About a week ago we acquired a roughly 1 year old JV33-130. This is our first large format printer, so we're all new to this. Anyway, when the previous owner gave us a rundown of the printer he told us that the second yellow cartridge had never worked since day one. (why he never had it repaired when it was under warranty I don't know) Anyway, I believe he had been printing in CMYK only. The test prints I ran when we got the machine were very washed out and not vibrant in the least.

After he left I peaked in the slot where the cartridge slides in. There was a little piece of plastic wedged in the back of the slot that wasn't letting the cartridge seat properly. I was able to remove the piece of plastic and I believe it was a piece of the switch that is on the right side of the cartridge slot. I stuck a cartridge in there and everything seemed to be fine.

I went through and cleaned the bejeezus out of the machine and ran some test prints and things looked much much better. One the first test print everything printed good, except for some greeny color in the cyan. I cleaned the head and nozzles and the cyan started printing great, but I got green lines in yellow and haven't been able to get rid of them since.

I tried filling the ink and things didn't get better. Again I've been using this machine for a grand total of 3 days now, so I'm really just guessing, but should I do a full discharge and refill? Could yellow ink have coagulated near the juction in the tube coming from the never used yellow cartridge and when I started running ink through the tube it passed a clot down the tube and messed something up down the road?

The number of lines depends on how many passes I have the machine set to. I get a line every 1/8" when I have 8 passes and a line every 1/16" when I have the machine set to 16 passes. The rest of the colors are printing great.

Any advice as to what might remedy my problem would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks,
Jordan

Case

I have seen this before... Take the head carriage down to the left hand side of the machine and pop the cover off on the far left side... You can manually slide it down there with the power off or there is a menu setting to take it to the far left under I believe CR maintenance..... Anyways, look underneath at the printhead... Is there any scratch at all on the head? The last time I saw what you were describing with the printing was a scratched or dented head underneath and changing to a new printhead solved it instantly... I know this isn't the answer that anyone would want to hear, but this really could be your problem... I mean you could try flushing the system and refilling it with ink... You would need the wash/prefill carts if you still didn't have them.... But I really doubt that will help... I believe this machine had a head strike, but of course without seeing it, I'm not 100% sure....

Case

jschulze

I believe it is 8, but I guess I'm not positive. I know that CCMMYYKK is the inkset that is chosen. Again I'm new to the printing thing. We were only cutting up until this point. Our cartridges from left to right are MM CC YY KK and are labeled 1-8. Are they supposed to me C M Y K K Y M C?

Thanks,
Jordan

MM CC YY KK is the correct configuration on mine for 4 colors and I assume probably yours as well. I'm afraid that Case is probably right at some point in time the machine probably had a head strike and the head is scratched or dented.

jschulze

Thanks for the quick replies. I was afraid that is was going to be the head. The only thing that was leading me otherwise was that it printed yellow fine before I got the second cartridge working. On my test draws everything looks great. No missing lines at all. I'll try calling support tomorrow and see what we can do.

Thanks for your help,
Jordan

Matt-Tastic

ok, i'm not sure if you have solved this or not, but the first thing i saw was that you have a broken piece of plastic on your ink slot that you pulled out.

that little piece of plastic is probably the flag on the ink end sensor that tells the printer you are out of ink. that sensor tells the printer to switch to the other cartridge. if it does not switch, there can be a backup of pressure in the ink line there, which will eventually cause your printhead to suck up ink back from the cap. you are probably getting contaminated ink from that sensor not working on the cart.

the sensor is cheap, but you have a lot of disassembly to replace it (VERY TIME CONSUMING) or you can spend a little more, and replace the entire ink slot (or bracket) with both sensors new. there is also less to screw up replacing the whole bracket.

I hope you've already fixed your problem, but if not, this may help down the line!

jschulze

Wow, thanks. I'm glad other people know this machine so well, that wouldn't have ever even crossed my mind.

The problem is a bit intermittent at the moment. Sometimes is prints just dandy and sometime the line appears. This is almost more frustrating than it just being constantly bad. I'll definitely get a hold of the switch, which I should have done in the first place. I still don't know why the original owner didn't have it fixed when the machine was under warranty.

A thousand thanks,
Jordan

RippinPC

I'm a tech, I wish I was there in person...

I believe it is 8, but I guess I'm not positive. I know that CCMMYYKK is the inkset that is chosen. Again I'm new to the printing thing. We were only cutting up until this point. Our cartridges from left to right are MM CC YY KK and are labeled 1-8. Are they supposed to me C M Y K K Y M C?

Thanks,
Jordan

Cartridges are arranged CCMMYYKK. Machine would display error if you had it wrong (assumes OEM cartridge utilization).

Definitely agree that you need to fix the ''cartridge sensor" switch first.

What does the line look like? If your test draw looks good, are you familiar with 'media comp' and 'drop position correct'?
Without a picture, I can't tell, but you may be experiencing 'overlap' or not enough media advance per pass. The reason it is 1/8" at 8 pass is b/c the print head is approx 1 inch deep, so 8 passes = 1/8 inch new per scan or pass.

If not media comp, I think you just need to run some ink through the machine and see if the problem self corrects. Make sure your capping station and wiper are perfectly clean. Replace wiper to ensure it is not part of the problem.

Chris Wallace

RippinPC@yahoo.com
:wavingflag: