• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greeting from Alberta

gen3

G' day! I found this site a long time ago researching a printer question while working at another company. Found the community to be really polite, informed and helpful.

I'm a third generation signguy and walldog; my son is actually the fourth although he won't admit it (still likes to think it was his idea...) Started out in my grandpa's shop before I could reach the top of the work table, worked with my dad for a few years before striking out on my own in the late Seventies.

My grandpa was a wealth of knowledge; just full of tips and tricks. And, although I thought about some things the same way I about trigonometry in school (I'll never use this crap!), I've found that over the years I've used everything and have been able to keep some 'forgotten' parts of the craft alive. They both beat one truth into my head: "If someone's paying you what it's worth to do, it's worth doin' right the first time..."

I might spend a lot of time picking your collective brains about computer generated graphics; I've only mechanized in the last five years. Right now I'm using a Roland SP-540i but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Software is Flexi/X4/Illustrator/Photoshop; the usual stuff.

Who knows - maybe I can answer a few questions about the traditional side of the trade in return! You might be able to tell that I am a rabid believer in our trade as a craft; something to take pride in. I still giggle when I remember something I heard once - "ours is the second-oldest profession". :rolleyes:

Take care, play safe, and I'll talk to you soon.

Mick