• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greetings from South Florida

bleeth

Hi everyone;

My name is Dave and I have a millwork shop in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida that focuses primarily on casework, but also I do custom work with my CNC including Dimensional Sign making. I've been learning more and more about this as both a personal interest and future focus as I am starting to feel the affects of running a large shop and since I can't imagine ever really retiring look forward to downsizing into a smaller space and concentrating more on what I like to do best.

Mill-wise I currently own a Shopbot 4 x 8 PRT that has been pretty much totally rebuilt into a custom PRS and do my design work with Artcam Pro.

I've had a long term relationship over the internet with some great sign-makers for quite some time now in other forums and look forward to learning and sharing here as well.

Dave

SignManiac

Welcome aboard. It was nice talking with you yesterday. I'm sure you will benefit from the knowledge base this forum provides. Good luck with your upcoming CNC camp.

Doc Savage

Welcome aboard.

I have been looking into building my own CNC router. Mainly because I have the working knowledge of the machinery and access to most of the components. I am thinking of building a smaller size table like a 24" x 24" to start with. But I know if I do eventually I will end up with a larger one. Only problem is I do not have room for a big one now so I haven't built one yet. :)

bleeth

Doc: There are some real advantages to a small one. Due to the smaller mass and size you can use lighter weight components, things like ball screw drives cost a lot less, smaller servos will do the job very well, and smaller spindles cost a lot less too. If you build it good and tight you can get engraving quality resolution which is very expensive on a big machine.

All: Thanks for the welcome! :thumb: