• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greetings from Tasmania

GrayM

I've not been here for a decade or so, just popping in to say hi.
My love for lettering began as I learned the engraving trade at 16, later working for a while in London, UK.
In Tasmania I took up a brush and taught myself to paint letters instead of carving them in silver and gold.
This is my 40th year running a sign business, its been the most interesting and challenging job of all. Work is scaled down a bit now I'm past the 70's, but I still enjoy it.
We were the first to introduce computerised signmaking into Tasmania back in the early 80s with a Gerber 4A. Plotters and computers have changed, Signlab hasn't much :) but the work is basically the same. Signlab was called Cadlink back then, I had an expensive card in the Gerber so cadlink would talk from PC to Gerber, primitive, but such fun.
I've stuck (no pun intended) with cut vinyl, don't do brushwork any more, outsource digital prints and keep the work simple. While I remain fit and healthy I shall continue this fine trade and enjoy some of your thoughts and ideas. Thanks for listening to a bit of history from an old geezer, cheers.

Neil

Hello Gray!
I remember you from years ago. I think we discussed Signlab and stuff on another board.
You have Cam River Signs?

I'm in Adelaide. Still signwriting and vinyl and printing.
Been hand lettering some roller doors today on a scaffold.
Good to be still able to be doing it. I'm 62 and I reckon I've got another 10 years yet.

GrayM

Hello Gray!
I remember you from years ago. I think we discussed Signlab and stuff on another board.
You have Cam River Signs?

I'm in Adelaide. Still signwriting and vinyl and printing.
Been hand lettering some roller doors today on a scaffold.
Good to be still able to be doing it. I'm 62 and I reckon I've got another 10 years yet.
Yes Neil, I've not forgotten you either. Cam river signs is correct, I'm nearly 72 now, my wife and i keep fit thru a mutual love for bicycle touring and natural foods, but age gets us all eventually. We have done a little cycling in Adelaide, the beach path from Glenelg then up the Torrens to the city was a nice ride if I recall.
Painting a roller door is a challenge, has its ups and downs :)

I was in contact with Peter from Gigantic Signs in Kent Town a year or two ago. He got himself in the news and I called him to say how much I admired his stand.
other than that, don't know anyone else. There was a Signlab seller there lost touch.

nice to "meet" again.

Neil

Yes Neil, I've not forgotten you either.

nice to "meet" again.
You too mate.

At least you get to live in one of the nicest places in the world.
Not too bad here either.

Here's what I'm working on today

Attachments

• Fresh door 01.jpg
    Fresh door 01.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 41