• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Greetings

Oakwood

I have been lurking the forums for a couple of weeks now...trying gain everything I can. Just paid for the membership for the "good stuff" and it is some good stuff :thankyou:

So I run a fulfillment house for dropshipping t-shirts and was recently impressed at the full color results on vinyl. A couple of months ago my shop purchased an el cheapo cutter to start offering specialty vinyl to our fulfillment customers. Needless to say we are out growing that...but it was worth it to "test the market".

Anyway, back to the full color...this industry has come a long way. We just purchased a used 42" Roland Printer again to test the market of a higher quality product compared to dtg. I am on the fence about a cutter, basically narrowed it down to a Graphtec or Summa, possibly a Roland (but I doubt it). I like Summa since I heard numerous times "it tracks like it's on rails" and we will be contour cutting as long a rolls as the manufacture reccommends...so tracking is of most importance! There are a lot of used Graphtecs out there though...and I hear it tracks pretty good. The rep I called quoted me at 10ft...not too bad but not 40ft like Summa said. Not sure about the Roland and I'm not sure about the width of the cutter I should be looking at. The rolls for shirts are 30" max and my printer is 42"...not sure if I would ever need to cut bigger than 30"...your thoughts???

I have read numerous posts about not needing an ARMS or OPOS system and still contour cutting, which is very interesting, but I think I like the idea of automatic :smile:

I am excited about this new market since we will be able to also offer on a fulfillment level one off posters, canvas, and other products to help our customers business grow...like window graphics. I really doubt we will be doing to many signs and banners but after running some numbers, I may have to file for a second dba :wink:

Looking forward to new opportunities for the business. Just to put it out there, the pricing structure is fairly "all over the board" for signs, banners, magnetics, etc and honestly quite confusing. I do not plan on low balling any pricing as the signs, etc would be my secondary business, not my bread and butter!

Thanks Again!

Ken

Welcome Oakwood...
With the Rolands, I have never heard it said that you need to pre-feed the media thru the machine before the actual print or cut, whereas, with Graphtec..that seems to be their "out" on misalignment. JUust taking the extra time to ensure proper tracking..works for me.
Ken

BobM

Welcome from Cape Cod. I've never had a tracking porblem any of my three Rolands. I do a lot of truck work and have cut stripes 24' without problems.

w2csa

Welcome from The Finger Lakes NY.
I've had my Roland SP300 about a year now, alignment is really pretty easy and fast.
Good luck!

Replicator

Welcome from North Bend, WA.

I have a 30" Roland CX-300 and the tracking is horrible . . . Don't get me wrong, I love the plotter, but wish it tracked better.

OneUpTenn

I have a q-160 cutter and it seems the tracking depends on the material and the day of course.....but have printed up to 100 decals only to throw them away because the ARM wouldnt pick up the registration marks.....

There are some threads on here relating to that sort of thing.

sarge

I use mostly a summs D60 .. as long as i keep the film on the guide rollers it is pretty good .. i have never cut anything longer then 30 foot .. but that cuts great .. i have a 24 lynk and i only use it for small jobs .. like real estate signs if my summa is busy .. i am going to buy another cutter here in a couple months and it will be summa .. the one summa i have .. only called tech support 2 times and both were me .. lynx .. maybe 10 times .. was me i suppose .. but the instructions are not clear and the supposrt guys then were horrible .. the lynx sat unused for 3 years .. soooo .. i know this was long but i thought you needed the dialog as to why this and not that .. welcome from puyallup, wa