• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grey color issues on only certain media profiles

jmag215

I have a latex 560 and most colors have been printing fine until I was printing some samples for a job on arlon SLX. I color calibrated it and the greys from the calibration look great. I cleaned the printhead did a test plot print and everything seems fine there. I printed again win the same results then I changed the printer to use s different media profile but still printed on the SLX and it came out grey, only other issue is the blues changed to more green then. I have a picture for comparison. Can anyone tell me what I am not seeing in the RIP or somewhere else in the profile, thank you for any input.

Attachments

• 20190706_225203.jpg
    20190706_225203.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 270

FrankW

Be careful under what light condition you check the colors. Color ist reflected light, and depending on the light source colors can have deviations, and with grey they are very remarkable. ICC-Color profiling is based on a standard light source near to regular daylight. Color deviations because of light can be there too depending on the media.

jmag215

What RIP are you using? Did you do a color calibration on the printer before profiling?
Onyx 18. Not sure on the color calibration before. Probably not? Been using the machine for 8 months now an have had nothing but good luck with my greys until now. Even used this same roll with good luck. It just had me do a color calibrate since it was out of date and I like to do one before big jobs anyways to make sure if I have to do work in the future for the client colors come out the same.

Jb1983

So why would you use a different profile if it was printing fine on the profile made for it?
Doesn’t make much sense? Solution you already know.

Profiles are different hence the color difference, each profile will change the output color in the rip for each color that is the color correction function trying to compensate. I prefer to use this function as you get less grainy prints with it on as opposed to leaving it off and this is especially noticeable on grays.

In the production manager you can click on the color tool and select each color in the print and it will show you what the input CMYK is and the what the output CMYK is. You’ll see the difference there especially in grays
This is if using flexi at least but now I see your using onyx so I don’t know about that

Last edited:

jmag215

So why would you use a different profile if it was printing fine on the profile made for it?
Doesn’t make much sense? Solution you already know.

Profiles are different hence the color difference, each profile will change the output color in the rip for each color that is the color correction function trying to compensate. I prefer to use this function as you get less grainy prints with it on as opposed to leaving it off and this is especially noticeable on grays.

In the production manager you can click on the color tool and select each color in the print and it will show you what the input CMYK is and the what the output CMYK is. You’ll see the difference there especially in grays
This is if using flexi at least but now I see your using onyx so I don’t know about that

You must not have read my post quite right. When I used the SLX profile it was printing purple. So just for the hell of it I changed to a substance X1 profile and it came out better but changed the blues as expected it would since the media's are different. I did not find any solution on the SLX profile but what I did come up with is I cloned my Avery 1105 profile and did a color calibration on the SLX material and then it printed perfect. I think something in my original SLX profile got jacked up somewhere along the way. I am glad I got it to work but still frustrated I didnt find the culprit of my original problem in case it happens again.