• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grimco-- no Warranty!

customcreations

I have had a failure of the Britline calendered lam and they will not warranty it. They say it can't be used on any curved surface's at all. I used it over IJ-35 in the side of a van and it has shrank back from the edge of the vinyl. I put it on 6 months ago. They said they were surprised it had not shrank more!! Really??? No company should expect their product to shrink faster. That is just a bunch of crap. They also said it is not recommended to install IJ35 on this install. Funny that 3M said it was fine to do it though! I have never put a claim in on a product in my 12 years of business. So if anyone is buy the house brand stuff, then you really have no warranty behind it. I know they really don't have a warrenty per say, but if you say it is a 4 year material, then it should not fail in 6 months!-- OK rant over now--Phillip

Flame

you should always use a cast product on vehicles.

True. But I'll give him credit for this...lam shrinking in 6 months? A van side is basically a flat surface, and it's hard to find a better surface for vinyl to adhere to than a nice clean, clearcoated metal surface. If a lam shrinks to the point of being unsightly in anything less than 3 years, IMO it should NOT be produced or sold to the public.

Keep us updated if they say anything more dude, Curious how this'll go down

FatCat

Briteline lam and print vinyl is what it is, at best an economy product. I wouldn't use it for anything but VERY short term stuff like yard signs, foam core, down and dirty decals, etc.

Not sure who told you IJ-35 is suitable for anything on a vehicle but they are dead wrong. If it's going on a vehicle with any kind of curve it should be cast wrapping film - or at least use a high performance calendared product like IJ-40 or Oracal 3551 with a good lam.

strypguy

Been there done that. Get educated on the right vinyl for the right job. The savings now will come back to haunt you.
If you want ot try something alittle cheaper we have used the 3MIJ40 and cast laminate with great success on vehicles with flat surfaces.

John

customcreations

This was not a wrap. I never needed heat on any part. Just a flat clean surface. Don't care what i put on it. The product should not fail that quick! 3M said it was fine for what I was doing!

Malkin

For some reason calendered lam seems to fail faster than calendered vinyl.

We adopted a policy of only using cast products on vehicles, and it has nearly eliminated failures and re-do's.

MikePro

sucks. lesson learned, however.
at least now you have photos to show your clients why it costs "this much" to properly wrap a vehicle. if they still want cheaper, then cheap is what they'll get!

petesign

I wouldnt use briteline lam for anything but a straight surface. If you bought the version without the uv shield, it even states in their catalog that it's for indoor use only. I did have some briteline fail on me and they helped make good on that roll though, maybe it depends on who you talk to. I have a good relationship with my grimco reps, and they have always treated me fairly.

mudmedia

I wouldn't warranty it either as IJ35 nor Briteline is not meant for vehicles? It is obvious and most know that a calendared film and calendared vinyl there will be shrinkage especially with IJ35.

What do I know though?

I have had a failure of the Britline calendered lam and they will not warranty it. They say it can't be used on any curved surface's at all. I used it over IJ-35 in the side of a van and it has shrank back from the edge of the vinyl. I put it on 6 months ago. They said they were surprised it had not shrank more!! Really??? No company should expect their product to shrink faster. That is just a bunch of crap. They also said it is not recommended to install IJ35 on this install. Funny that 3M said it was fine to do it though! I have never put a claim in on a product in my 12 years of business. So if anyone is buy the house brand stuff, then you really have no warranty behind it. I know they really don't have a warrenty per say, but if you say it is a 4 year material, then it should not fail in 6 months!-- OK rant over now--Phillip

mudmedia

I have a piece of vinyl IJ35 with Oracal 210 lam and it has shrunk within 3 months. Use the right stuff and you wont worry about shrinkage.

John Butto

I used that Grimco Britline years ago and that stuff is not good for anything. I take that back, it work good for putting down over carpet when working on interiors to pick up wallboard dust.

cajun312

I would think no matter what brand vinyl or laminate you used, if you mix two brands, neither manufacturer will warranty the job.