• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Grocery Store Signage

Pica Grove

I have a customer who wants large lettering and vinyl wall graphics similar to the image below for a grocery store. There are 15 different signs like this, some are to occupy large 20' sections. They are only budgeting around $1800 for each sign. Do you think this is a fair price for lettering and vinyl this large? The walls are already finished, the ledges below the letters are finished, we just need to provide letters and background graphics. What would you make the letters out of, 1" thick plastic foam board or other?
attachment.php

They also have some much larger signage that they need for open spaces up to 60' These look similar to the signs below. I've seen these signs close up and they have wire cut EPS foam on the back to provide support for the surved shape. Each of the three layered panels is a seamless panel with the graphic image. How do you think these panels were constructed, there are no seams, is this a laminated pieces of material on a pieced base board? This sign in the image is 50'-60' long, do you think that sign can be built for $1800?

attachment.php

Attachments

• produce.jpg
    produce.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 244
  • deli.jpg
    deli.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 193

MikePro

can shoot yourself in the foot real-quick if you just take someone's word for pricing on the internet, but with a budget like that I'd say you've got some room for profit.
identify your cost of materials & estimated design/labor/install and then make the call. talk with your plastic supplier for what options they have available to you.

*for the long-panel, you can get lengths of polycarbonate (lexan/makrolon) cut to whatever size you need. they're stocked on coils of hundreds of feet.
just need some sort of structure behind it to keep it flat/rigid & securely mounted. stacked elements can easily hide mechanical fasteners that will supplement any adhesives you may also be using.
*the print applied over the top of it, can also be printed seamlessly up to hundreds of feet.
*all over elements, easily done with either foamcore or expanded PVC plastic... depending on expectations of quality/durability.

TimToad

can shoot yourself in the foot real-quick if you just take someone's word for pricing on the internet, but with a budget like that I'd say you've got some room for profit.
identify your cost of materials & estimated design/labor/install and then make the call. talk with your plastic supplier for what options they have available to you.

*for the long-panel, you can get lengths of polycarbonate (lexan/makrolon) cut to whatever size you need. they're stocked on coils of hundreds of feet.
just need some sort of structure behind it to keep it flat/rigid & securely mounted. stacked elements can easily hide mechanical fasteners that will supplement any adhesives you may also be using.
*the print applied over the top of it, can also be printed seamlessly up to hundreds of feet.
*all over elements, easily done with either foamcore or expanded PVC plastic... depending on expectations of quality/durability.

I don't know how much Lexan costs back there, but its easily one of the most expensive substrates we use. I personally would try to find ANY other material to work with and just do your best with the seaming.

A 50' piece of 40" White Polycarbonate .150 Film Masked from Denco would run $617.50 and you haven't put a drop of ink, graphics, backing material or anything on it yet.

Pica Grove

Tim - I totally agree, when they showed me the picture of this sign and said what the budget was, my gut said no way. I appreciate the input, I just want to make sure I'm not missing an easy material application. The signs basically look really basic in construction but the thing that gets me is no seams. It has to be vinyl or some other material laminated over the base. Maybe I need to go pick at it and see how it was built?? :thumb:

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.

Pat Whatley

Kommerling USA, makers of Komatex PVC, have a "run to size" service. You want 4' x 50' sheets they can probably handle that. Shipping is gonna be an issue but if you're doing all the signage it would be manageable.

A quick google search found two other PVC manufacturers who can do it.

rjssigns

I wonder if you could get away with attaching foam letters to a flex face on the 4' x 60"? Just typing out loud.

Billct2

This is usually with wall coverings right on the drywall, vertical seams every 5' and gatorfoam letters.

TimToad

I've seen a few large chain grocers use what looks like a printed graphic laminated to clear 12 mil or thicker polycarbonate or even floor graphic laminate and then mount them to cheap foamcore panels. That way you'd have a seamless presentation from the front but inexpensive, lightweight substrate on the back.