• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Gromett die supplier

Murray

Hi all! Can anyone recommend a supplier for a new gromett die for my hand press? I know that the die must match the gromett precisely and unfortunately our current supplier does not quite get it. The one pictured here is a 1/4 die set and I'd like to add a 3/8 size and perhaps even a 1/2 inch option, so i need both the dies to fit our machine and the grometts to match. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Gromett press2.jpg
    Gromett press2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 69
  • Gromett die set2.jpg
    Gromett die set2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 70

JustinKaise

Just get a Stinson 405 machine

Hi all! Can anyone recommend a supplier for a new gromett die for my hand press? I know that the die must match the gromett precisely and unfortunately our current supplier does not quite get it. The one pictured here is a 1/4 die set and I'd like to add a 3/8 size and perhaps even a 1/2 inch option, so i need both the dies to fit our machine and the grometts to match. Thanks in advance for your help!

Do yourself a favor - they are industry standard and gromets for sale everywhere - even on Amazon.com.
The standard is #1 #2 etc. and like I said theres a gazillion places selling those and the machine everywhere. There are Stinson out there with millions of grommets under the belt and never an issue.

Murray

thanks for the quick reply JustinKaise, I didnt want to spend that much money as by the time I have the press, the 3 dies and 4 or 5 gromett configurations, im nearing 1k but you may be right that it is the best option. Do you know if it will punch a gromett through the standard kind of webbing that we sew into a banner hem? Ours will not, the webbing is just too tough.

Do yourself a favor - they are industry standard and gromets for sale everywhere - even on Amazon.com.
The standard is #1 #2 etc. and like I said theres a gazillion places selling those and the machine everywhere. There are Stinson out there with millions of grommets under the belt and never an issue.

JustinKaise

Stinmson with self-piercing will go thru almost anything

Hey Buddy, Yes - you get the Stimpson 405 machine - they are $199.00 at buy grommets online or something like that - also check Amazon, and then you can buy the dies right from Stimpson -for $54.00. Get the self-piercing -we've put them thru double layers of webbing as well as banner and plastic corners - as well as coroplast - etc. There is a screw adjustment on that machine that allows you to adjust depth - very fast and easy. We have found the webbing to be old fasioned to be honest. We now put PowerTape around the edges instead of sewing the webbing as the needle actually weakens the banner - powertape does not - and tjhat company also sells clear corners - which make it 1000% stronger - the grommets NEVER rip out when using the plastic corners and then the powertape - and they honestly look a lot more professional. They offer several products - call and ask for help they'll explain. We've tested the grommets on banner and rope and piulled them right out - put the corners and powertape and NOTHINg - can not rip them out. just my experience.
If you get the 405 - just get the #2 grommets. If you get a call for eyelets of #1 - THEN get them as needed - you can get them in 2 or 3 days at ground shipping - so no need to keep that loot on the shelf until you need it. After 20 years we only have a #1, #2 (both self piercing!) and an eyelet die - thats it.

player

Hiker is another top self piercing machine. My research showed it to be slightly superior to the Stimpson. Also look into the quality and price of grommets. The Hiker's grommets are very heavy duty. You need to buy the specific grommets for each manufacturer. Stimpson grommets don't work 100% with Hiker etc.

http://www.hikerusa.com/HANDPRESSES.html

Another option is to buy a crappy Chinese unit for $100 that comes with all the dies. Not recommended though.

rjssigns

Another vote for Hiker. Ours has been great. I've used a Stimpson in another shop and it seems to take more effort. Maybe I'll run them side by side if the opportunity presents itself.